General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biker culture is officially dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 AM
jarhead59
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted on this before and I have come to the conclusion that the culture is not dead, just severly diluted. As we go through this next decade of economic weakness the toy boys will be washed out of the culture and we will get back to most of the core values that used to drive the culture. God I hope I'm right.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe she should have hid the Glock.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

In the last few years every time I have stopped for a bike on the side of the road it was someone sending a text message. That might have something to do with it

Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 AM
ironman2011
Road Captain

Just another fine example to show that this country actually IS going to ****. I've not been riding for 30 years, but I have stopped, do stop, and will stop.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude... it's not just about bikes... it's about society as a whole. People are just to in a hurry to help others. I always stop to help stranded cars or bikes.... especially if it's a woman.
I can't tell you how many flat tires I've changed over the years. Changed one about a year ago at 4:30 in the morning on the darkest damn road you've ever seen. It was a 16 year old girl scared out of her mind.
She had snuck out of the house to drive 15 miles to screw her boyfriend. When he was done with her he sent her on his way. She was on the phone with him when I stopped. He didn't want to come help her. I told her to get a better boyfriend.
She got a fatherly lecture from me as I changed the tire. I reminded her that some creep could have stopped and she woould have been in real trouble.
SHe thought she ewas going to get away with it becasue she would be back to the house, her Mom's car in the driveway, and her in bed before her Mom knew.
I asked her how she was going to explain the tire in the trunk with the rim that was ground down about an inch all the way around. She had driven about 5 miles on the flat. She just started crying.
I told her to go home, tell her Mom everything, take her medicine...... and dump her loser boyfriend.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM
kcdowning
Advanced
Default I stopped yesterday

I stopped yesterday for a kid on a sportbike parked a long the road. He looked kind of confused that I was even stopping. He had run out of gas. Said his friend was getting gas. I wasn't sure if he meant a friend on a bike or he was coming in a cage. The next 3 gas stations I went past didn't have anybody I saw putting gas into a can on a bike. He wasn't in danger and the weather was decent so I left.

I think you answered your own question about the biker culture and society in general when you said you left her your Glock.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
I think a part of it is ...this is the day of cell phones and credit cards...people have come to the conclusion that if someone breaks down they aren't stranded, they have a cell phone...

Back in the day when there were no cell phones, you could actually be stranded, so they would stop and help.
I have to agree on this point. The few times I have stopped, whether bike or cage, that was the answer. I guess you become conditioned and end up assuming. Great post, as I know I'll have to re-think the issue the next time I see someone stranded.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
In the last few years every time I have stopped for a bike on the side of the road it was someone sending a text message. That might have something to do with it
Exactly!!

I stop every time I pass a bike on the side of the road. In the last 5-6 years exactly 1 was broken down. Everyone else was taking a smoke break, drinking some water, calling or texting.

If you just need a break, wait till the next damn exit!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by martinbrody
since there were so many riding by each one's personal responsibility to act felt diminished. Ironically if only one had ridden by in that time, they would have been much more likely to stop. It is called the diffusion of responsibility.

So in a sense you are correct. In the days of fewer bikers, they were more likely to follow the rule to always stop for a broken down bike.

From the wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/diffusi...responsibility
wtf???

Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

[quote=piasspj;8007642]First one of these posts I've seen in a while. But I believe the "biker culture" has been declared dead for years. I will tell you this, I stop to offer help whenever I see someone stranded, (car or bike). The past 10 years about 75% of the people on bikes are a PITA just because of attitude. Many don't want help from someone on a Metric or someone wearing Dockers. God forbid you offer them a bottle of water.[/quote]

Don' judge us all,dude....some of us are thankful, haha!....

Long story as short as I can make it.....Had family camp'n down in Cave City,Ky last yr....anyways, took off and forgot their meds,I was feed'n their dogs that wk/end,so....anyways...early Sun morn'n,get a call,I tell'm "I'll run'm down to ya" .....cross'n the Ohio River,65 South,battery lights come on, and stay on...no problem, Louisville HD is on the way(original battery, so it's 'bout time...)
Stop in there,service changes the battery,back on the road 'bout an hour1/2....not bad....get down to Cave City,spend some time....nice ride,nice day.....start head'n back,lights come on at just North of Upton,KY....S**T!.....stay on for 20 some odd mls,and then go back out...??...I'm like , WTF?...anyways,came back on a short time later,stay'd on.....bike took a s**t(battery ran dry,NEW 1..) 'bout 18 mls South of Shepherdsville,KY....it's about 5:45 PM (dealer's close'n @ 6:00)get 'hold of them,they'll send the van for it.....cool.....'bout a 25 min wait...
I count'd 9 Harley's at diff times pass'd my azz right on up,never even slow'd.....had 3 rocketriders ALL STOP and check if I need'd anything....I thank'd them all for stop'n, and told'm I had it under control....turns out it was a voltage regulator connection,anyways.......some of us are thankful if ya stop.....whatever yer ride'n...............

Quick Reply: The biker culture is officially dead