General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freight and Handling on New HD Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Ouroboros
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just let it be, people who pay a premium for their bikes from the stealership leave room for others to get a good deal. "Caveat Emptor" Just saying.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
doesn't really matter now.... you've already signed the papers, gave them the money and now it's yours.

you've opened yourself up to hear how everyone else didn't have to pay set-up, freight or other fees, got their bike for thousands off MSRP and got tons of free stuff.
Floodgates are open now! All you'r gonna hear now is how you got screwed like Aviator says above. Been in that situation myself. All excited to do a deal on a new bike, papers get shuffled, salesman keeps running in and out, figure this, figure that, trying to keep all those numbers in your head. Finally you scream "Its a deal!" Next time I buy a new bike (if there is a next time) I will have MY DEAL down on paper BEFORE I set foot in the dealership. I will KNOW my credit rating BEFORE I set foot in the dealership. I will be ready to WALK if I dont get MY DEAL. Lesson learned.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new RG. Which dealer did you work with?

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
Yes, I think you got the shaft! I paid MSRP and no freight or set-up fees and got $2000 in free accessories.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
dcgray2
Tourer

As others have said, you drove it off, its yours.

No "cooling off" period exists for vehicle purchases in any state that I am aware of.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dHUTCH
Just curious what you fellas paid for Freight and Handling on your new HD scoots.
$0.00

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

This is why you should plan out what teh numbers are going to look like before you go into teh dealership.

Have your price, plus tax written down beforehand. After teh paperwork is done, if those two numbers aren't close, take another look at teh paperwork. My sales rep went "back to teh sales managers office" more than a few times until their numbers matched mine.

As to teh OP, I don't know what F+S charges I paid, as I made an offer of XX, plus tax. Maybe I paid nothing, or maybe I paid $8K for teh bike, and $2400 in F+S

Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always negotiated an Out The Door (OTD) price, all in. When it's time to sign the sales invoice, the bottom line must be the same as the OTD price agreed upon. PERIOD!
If not, don't sign. Don't let them talk you into any add-ons or "oops we forgot to add that in when we agreed" BS.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

Talked to the Sales manager on behalf on the owner today. He explained the charges and like said, I signed and drove off. That being said they are going to do something else to make it right for me.

All in all, with the bike, my riding gear, the extra "charges," my warranty, and service plan....I still paid a lot less than others have paid for the package.

I have my Harley and I love it, and that's all that matters. Just at a month old and I'm already taking it for it's 1000 mile service. We'll get our money out of her!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad they're working with you.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I get the MSRP price,TTL, setup charge and destination charge. Then I make a cash out of the door offer. Sometimes I get sent packing. Sometimes I leave with a bike and a solid deal. That has worked for me since 1962 and over 30 bikes.

Quick Reply: Freight and Handling on New HD Motorcycles