General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice buying first bike....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by woodthecrab
New to the forums. Have been looking for a first bike for over 12 months now. I'm a deliberate guy, but my delays have also been $ related. Most of the guys in my neighborhood ride and I'd like to join the fun. I'm 40 buying my first bike, though, I've wanted a Harley for a long time.

I've decided to heed the advice of my neighbors and forgo a sportster. No offense to anyone, but I'm told I'll outgrow it quickly and I just assume buy the bike I like to start. I did think about the Nightster briefly.

I really like the street bob and bobber style bikes in general. I have an opportunity to buy a very sharp tastefully modified 06 with 4K miles for $8k. The bike is sharp and would require no immediate modifications for my tastes. I'd rather not spend this much, but I know this is a better than fair price as I have been shopping for awhile. I also know that this bike has the 88ci engine and not the current 96ci.

Recently, I've found a '89 Heritage Softail restored to look like a street bob. It's a nice bike in the pics, though I have not seen it in person yet. Better yet, it can be had for under $6k. Maybe even as low as $5k. The seller is motivated. It has 35K miles, and the owner insists it runs great and needs nothing.

I'm somewhat torn about the decision. I like both bikes. I expect to be a moderate to light rider in terms of mileage. I'm wondering what experienced Harley owners think of the idea of the risks/rewards of the older bike. Or should I just spend a bit more and go with the newer ride?

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject. BTW,I have taken the rider safety course in PA and I'm not intimidated by either bike, as I have test driven both dynas and softtails.
If you are serious about an 06 dyna pm me before you do because there are issues with that year you should know about.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
woodthecrab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this 06 has the 6 speed tranny and the 88ci engine.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
woodthecrab
Novice

I've rode dynas and I feel comfortable. I'm not huge at 6 foot, but even with forwards I feel cramped on a sporty. I thought long and hard about a nightster but decided against it.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
woodthecrab
Novice

I feel stupid to ask, but how do I PM on this site?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM
rgbch3b
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

StreetBob's are good rides. All depends on what you want and what kind of riding you'll be doing. Get what you want and feel comfortable with. Enjoy the new ride!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
woodthecrab
Novice

Evidently I am not privelged to PM yet as a new member. If you wouldn't mind, please PM me.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Go 4 the bob i think they had the 6 speed trans anyway and the 88 inch motor runs fine .IM 5'8" and get cramped on the wifes sporty. But it still is a blast to ride to the bar.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oct1949
the 88's only weakness is the cam tennisioners, but most changed them out by 20k or so..
The '06 Dynas have the new style cam tensioners, so this is not a problem.

Originally Posted by woodthecrab
I believe this 06 has the 6 speed tranny and the 88ci engine.
You are correct; '06 Dyna was the first model with the 6 speed tranny.

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
If you are serious about an 06 dyna pm me before you do because there are issues with that year you should know about.
Since you can't PM yet: KBFXDLI is referring to the Inner Primary Bearing problem and the bolt-together Stator/Rotor problem, both issues with '06 Dynas. Do a search on the forum for both issues and you'll find all the info you need.
I ride an '06 Street Bob (FXDBI) and I love the bike. But I did experience both of these issues with my bike. Again, do a search and you'll find out all you need to know. $8k is not a bad price, considering it only has 4k miles on it, but these two issues usually come up at around 10k to 14k miles. After you do the research, find out if the bike has had these problems fixed (doubtful with only 4k on it).

Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
woodthecrab
Novice

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2315703884.html
Here is a pic of the older bike and a link to the newer bike for what it's worth:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,348 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I'd go for the SB over the Softail....that front fork and front wheel is a mod you'd want to like enough to live with.

The SB looks nice, the orange secondary colors are a personal choice.
I'm an 06 FXDB owner, picked mine up used last fall...paid 7k, it had 11,400 on it I think. I shopped for quite a while. The price of the one you're looking at sounds good considering the low miles and mods on it.

I also learned of the IPB issue after I picked up the bike...you'll see some of my posts in the threads they mentioned above. My noise is present, but no grits in the oil when I drained it for winter, and I've put another thousand miles on her over the winter. I'll probably be having it changed out soon, but for the price I got her for..I'm still happy.

Quick Reply: need advice buying first bike....