General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice buying first bike....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
woodthecrab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the IPB issue a certainty, or something that happens with some bikes?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

Bought a sporty, which everyone told me not to do. I enjoyed the bike, I put 25K miles on it in a couple of years! It was a 1200 and it was fun to ride. Initially my wife wasn't going to ride with me much, but it turned out she absolutely loved it. I needed a bigger bike and got the fat boy. My point is your circumstances might change but with Harley's you can turn around and sell them for just as much as you paid for them. I found I fretted too much about what bike I wanted, if you buy something that you decide you don't like, sell it and get another.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 AM
FishStick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your shoes until last week. I have done some riding on sport bikes but took several years off due to a car accident that made sport bikes painful to ride. Just bought a new Street Bob and wish I would have bought this for my first bike. It is much cheaper in the long run to get the bike you want and not upgrade to the Bob in a year or 2.

I was looking for a used bike like you but found a good deal on a 2010. It may be a little extra cash but having a warranty and piece of mind breaking it in myself makes it worth the extra cash to me. To be honest if you take a riding course and take it easy you should be fine since the Bob is an easy bike to ride. There is no doubt that it will be a bit of hand full at first

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by woodthecrab
So is the IPB issue a certainty, or something that happens with some bikes?
From everything I've gathered by reading those threads about it you can find via the SEARCH function....

***Not every single 06 made came out of the factory with the issue...it seems the last several months of the production year had the fix done when they left the factory.
***It may have been fixed by a prior owner by them taking it to the dealerships butcher shop..I mean rip-off shop...ooops...I mean service department. They may have done the fix and put in the newer system with dowels.

If you get a chance to see the bike in person, have the guy fire it up...and let it sit in neutral, with clutch out. Have him pull the clutch in....a few second later...let it out again.

One person described the sound like someone holding an old fashioned metal wheeled roller skate in their hand...and with the other hand...you swipe it across the wheels and make them spin. It's kinda like that....just a little deeper. A metal roller bearing sound. It's very abrupt..you pull the clutch in and drop her in first the noise shuts up immediately. Plop her in neutral and let out the clutch again..and the noise usually picks right up.

And dropped into first gear...they seem to say the usual Harley "CLUNK" is lounder than usual...I know mine sure is..you can hear me drop into first from over a block away.

I think the cost of replacing it is around 800 to 900 bucks. Like I said..I found out about the issue after I got my bike...it bothered me a little at first...but even if I have to pay for a repair (and I probably will because, based on forum posts..it appears the stealership doing it no-cost days are long gone) ....I still got my bike for a fair price.

If you hear the extra noise, you may be able to use that for a bargaining tool to pickup this SB for a lower price.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A good friend gave me some solid advice once. He said, "Never buy a used vehicle that doesn't give you a hard-on".

They're both good options. Think with the little head on this one.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM
gofast6
Stage II

how tall r u and and if your around 200 pounds I have very nice sporty all redone fast nimble and you would never out grow it ,it is an 04 frame and engine that has been worked on the rst is all custom bobber with a whole nightster pagage under it . 15 grand in it and I am selling a tade lower than the street bob u r thinkin of it you would like anyy pic let me know I find the sporty with the rubber mout motor and buell engine upgrades done to the 2004 and up bikes are just grate plus this bike was th1200R so the new 21 front inch rim has dual new rotors .Good to have a new 2 wheel brother know matter what

Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 PM
UC4ME
Intermediate

I would yourself a few questions first.

1) How comfortable on a motorcycle are you? Some bikes are easier to ride than others - pick one that matches your current skill level, not the one you will grow into - or you may never have the opportunity to grow into it - if you get my drift.
2)How much will you ride? Pick a bike that fits how long and where you ride. Locally, short trips or highway/freeway long hauls. Do not just pick the "pretty one". You a** will thank you in the long run.
3) Are you capable of working on the bike. If you're not, purchasing a used bike is going to cost as they WILL take more maintenance.

Don't mean these to be a lecture but you will be much happier and SAFER if you follow them.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Well, between the two I would go for the SB,but I'll tell you what--if I see ONE MORE BLACK DENIM STREETBOB I'm gonna open a vein. I mean--that's all you see here! Black Denim SBs. Or Denim Black FB los. I think blacked out is PLAYED OUT....I think denim is played out, and I'm gettin' tired of lookin' at it! (Except on the Nighttrain. That bike is righteousness personified!)

But.....

If it's a vivid black SB I'd say Go for it! They look great. Not as great as the SuperGlide Custom,but real nice anyway,and a good platform for a nice custom bobber. Also, the '06 has the good looking rear fender, before they started runnin' that dopey lookin' bobbed monstrocity. (Note to MoCo: LEARN HOW TO BOB A FENDER CORRECTLY WILL YA?! What you're currently doing to the SB,WideGlide,and Nightster & 48 looks like CRAP!!!) The problem with the Heritage is not so much keeping it running--Evos go forever. The problem will be getting parts. Yea, there's aftermarket stuff, but they're few & far between. And some aftermarket stuff doesn't fit correctly. I had problems with available master cylinder kits not working in aftermarket MCs. And what if you need some internal engine part there ain't no after market for? Had a friend unable to get a rear brake line for that EXACT same bike anywhere.

OK I've had my rant. Now I can go take my Paxil & relax!

Last edited by dickey; 08-21-2011 at 11:32 PM.