General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another pin head dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another pin head dealer

I got a call yesterday from a friend. Him and some other friends were out on a ride. One of them has a new (as of last fall) Fatbob Low with a big radius 2 into one and stage one intake and tuner. He could only get about 85 out of it on saterday. He has a few miles on it but I under stand that it is not fully broken in yet. Well they pulled into a local dealer in Grand Forks, were he bought the scooter and had the pipe and intake installed etc. The dealer said there is no problem with the bike. "Motor is still tight yet" "Give it time"

I quess the thing doesn't even sound like a Harley as it sounds more like a Honda ie quiet.

Now most of us realize that the bike will nto reach its full potential until it is fully broken in but 85 mph top end and it took awhile to get to that????

I know what I am thinking, Dealer is seriously on some crack!!!!!

Oh I was going to deal with this dealer on doing my 95 inch in my 05 electraglide. I already got the piston kit from them and had the jugs bored ( I had a spare set of jugs). Was going to drop it off and have them slap it together for me and set the efi via my SE pro super tuner that is already installed on the bike. I quess I will find someone else to do it for me as I don't have the time myself.

Last edited by Rat1; 04-11-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I remember hearing that the brand new Harleys have limiters on them? Around 85 or 90 mph I think it is?

Plus over the years I've seen that some bikes are just fast and some slow no matter what you seem to do to them ( all things being equal) short of total rebuilds/printing. Maybe he's got a "slow" one?

I test rode 5 Dressers before buying Blue Belle. It was love at first twist as the "magic" was there and still is.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound right. I would actually go to a different dealer and complain about the lack of throttle and the time it takes to get up to speed. I also would have a dealer /mechanic that I trust and wouldn't normally settle for pot luck. I do have a couple of mechanics I trust when my skills or time is lacking.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I think I remember hearing that the brand new Harleys have limiters on them? Around 85 or 90 mph I think it is?
As they say in baseball "I think you're mis-remembering"

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I've heard of an RPM limiter on a Harley but nothing that limits the actual speed of the bike itself, other than the laws of physics.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think it will run any slower because it isnt broke in I would find a different person to work on mine

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not all vehicles run the same right of the lot, I have test drove a few of the same cars and they all had a differant feel to them. Yeah a 96Ci with some bolt on's shold get to 85mph fast and do well past that no matter how new it is. Sounds to me like the dealer did nto want to deal if it and gave him a BS response to get him out the door.

Some sport bikes do have a speed limiter on them and it's 186 MPH not 85-90. HD have a rev limiter, but not a speed limiter and if they did it would not be that low.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Electronic throttle limiter???

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it will only do 85 it has issues.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Right, I think it's maybe a "rev" limiter which is very different from a "speed" limiter. Supposedly the rev limiter is set high enough as to not really affect top end from what I can glean.

http://bike-talk.com/forum/motorcycl...d-limiter.html

"police bikes do not have a rev limiter.......all others do. i believe this "speed limiter" is actually a rev limiter. check the rpms at your maxed out speed....i believe it is going to be about 52/5300 rpms.............. "

Quick Reply: Another pin head dealer