General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting frustrated with my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Brian6325
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting frustrated with my dealer

I bought my 2002 Super Glide at HD Biketown in Youngstown Ohio on March 28th. I did test ride the bike that day and it was sputtering every so often. I told them I would buy the bike if they fixed it. They agreeded to. Also it had a Corbin seat on it which I did not like, and they changed it for a new Sundowner seat. Please do not start a debate on Corbin seats, it is my bike and I like what I like. So I had to wait for the new seat to come in and for the bike to be serviced as it came in the day before.

So they called me on April 1st saying the seat was in and it was ready to be picked up. So I went in after work and it turned out the seat came in, but the bike was not done yet. That was fine I understand mistakes happen, and the Sales Manager said he would call me tomorrow and let me know when it would be ready. He never called, so I called on Sunday and he said it was done but it just needed to be test rode. Then on Monday night he called and told me I could come pick it up anytime.

Tueday night after work I picked the bike up. My Salesman was not there to go over the bike with me, so another employee did. On the ride home it was doing the same sputtering it did on the test ride. It was about 33 degrees out and I live about 2 miles from the dealership. So I thought it might be the fact it was really cold out and the motor was not fully warm.
The next day it was 50 degrees out so I took it for a 20 minute ride. It was doing the exact same thing.

On Thursday I called the dealership and the sales manager told me I could bring it in that day after work. I did and after a tech looked at the bike they said it was due to the bike not being jetted after the original owner put Vance and Hiines pipes on it. They were going to modify the carb to run richer to cure the problem, but the sales manager said what it really needed was a high flow air filter and a jet kit. Since I plan on riding the bike a lot I wanted it done 100% right. So he agreed to split the cost of the jet kit, air filter, and labor. It turned out to cost me $150 which I agreed to. I set it up to bring the bike in on Monday since it was going to be a nice weekend and I was going out of town on Wensday. He had also assured me that the service department said my bike was safe to ride and I could ride it as much as I wanted to.

I ended up putting 300 miles on the bike last weekend, and when I was coming home from a ride I was in a turn and it sputtered and I almost dropped it. I do not see how it was safe to ride. Monday after work it was raining, but I still rode the bike to the dealer very carefully after what happened the day before. I dropped it off and while I waited for and hour for my friend to come pick me up my salesman and I had a nice 30 minute conversation about riding. The bike was supposed to be ready for me to pick up when I got back. That is why I rode it there on Monday in the rain. The sales manager even told me that he did not want to keep the bike from me.

On the way home yesterday I called and the service department said they had not even done anything to my bike and the earliest it would be ready would be Tuesday. This would not have been a big deal if they could have atleast called me to let me know they were behind. On top of that I called today to speak to talk to the sales manager. He said they were behind and he was going to go talk to the service manager and call me back. He never called me back, this was the second time he has not called me back. He also sounded like he never agreeded to getting it done in that time frame.

I am sorry about being long winded, but I am just really frustrated over all of this. If I knew they were not going to do anything to the bike with out me complaining about it not running I would not have bought it. I also did buy a 3 year warranty with it so if they do not get it right I will take it to another dealer. All I want is the dealer to do what they say they are going to do. Which they have not done what they said they would four times. I am just frustrated and want my bike back and running like it should. I spent more on a bike then I said I would and I have always wanted a Harley but it just has been frustrating. Sorry I just had to vent.

Brian

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Venting

You have every right to vent.
Who knows what is really going on behind the scenes at these dealerships.
I haven't had very satisfying encounters with the svc. department where I bought my 2011 and I was having warranty work done.
It's frustrating "fo sho".

Vent away my friend, vent away!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did a nice job with your write up. Time to take it to the general manager and have a talk. Get things written down with your expectations and what their plan is going to be with definitive dates etc...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Kanebanger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you definitely made the right choice getting the extended warranty. I would take it to another dealer to get a fresh pair of eyes on it.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

On Thursday I called the dealership and the sales manager told me I could bring it in that day after work. I did and after a tech looked at the bike they said it was due to the bike not being jetted after the original owner put Vance and Hiines pipes on it. They were going to modify the carb to run richer to cure the problem, but the sales manager said what it really needed was a high flow air filter and a jet kit. Since I plan on riding the bike a lot I wanted it done 100% right. So he agreed to split the cost of the jet kit, air filter, and labor. It turned out to cost me $150 which I agreed to.

1. They said they'd make it right when you bought it.
2. Then they said the problem was from the previous owner doing some mods.

3. Then they want YOU to pay for part of the 'fix?'

Tell them to fix it a NO COST to you or you'll leave the bike with them! AND, post all over the internet what crooks they are!!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM
MidLifeCrisis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Mal74, If they agreed to fix it as part of the deal then I wouldn't give them a dime. They are not living up to there part of the bargain!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with the guys above. They sold you a bike that was supposed to be 100% squared away and you've already went above and beyond what is expected from you as a buyer by paying part of the fix. Not to mention all you time and trips back and forth....they really need to step up on this one

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH HELL NO! It really is time to start being a dick about it.

Seriously, tell'em to get it right this time, or they get the bike back and fight them to get any money YOU spent returned. Be their worst nightmare.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a talk with the GM or owner.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold their feet to the fire! You purchased a bike with an ext. warr. and they want you to help pay for what they said they'll fix? BS! Make 'em live up to their end of the deal as you did. They fix it, or you walk with your cash.

Quick Reply: Getting frustrated with my dealer