General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handlebar quality/price...what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with hill country customs as well for my 16s. Only issue i had is the opening was a little small in the bars if ur running internal wireing. Nothing a die grinder cant fix. Also my throttle and return cables are starting to rust at the fitting. I ride the thing in snow, rain, monsoon, lol so its to be a little expected. They are strong and the chrome is very good but. not holy crap look at that good.
If i remember for all the wireing and everything plus bars cables, i was around 300$.
If u have any doubt remember, the handle bars are the only thing connecting you to your bike. Id hate to even think about having somthing go wrong with the bars at any amount of speed. Anything over 12 inches needs polyurathane bushings.

Attached Thumbnails handlebar quality/price...what's the deal?-pic-029.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my apes off a member on here who said he had bought them from Hill Country Customs. They seem pretty nice to me with a good finish. I agree with Dynamite1 however that the internal wiring opening on the bars were small. They had 2 small holes at the exit point so a friend of mine just took out his grinder and made it into 1 hole. Problem solved.
Also put on the HD poly bushings and it made a big difference in getting rid of the sloppiness from the stock rubber ones.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 04-24-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by terrapin88
Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely have to listen to my budget, but I am ok spending more money if that means a noticeable quality difference. I'm probably going to stick in the 50-100 dollar range and if they suck, then I'll know and I'll get rid of them via ebay. I'm going to change out my bushings while I have the bars off. I think they are original.
I was shopping for some recently and the problem isn't the bars or the price for 16" apes, it's the new brake line, cables and wires. I ended up finding a good deal on some HD 12" mini-apes from an FXSTC that fit my FXST with no change in the wiring/cables. It would have cost a lot more and taken a lot more time if I had to change all of that stuff.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,943 Likes on 4,885 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Also put on the HD poly bushings and it made a big difference in getting rid of the sloppiness from the stock rubber ones.
I have swapped out my bars twice and now there will be a 3rd swap with my Wild1 Chubby's 16" apes...what's this talk about the "poly bushings"?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
I have swapped out my bars twice and now there will be a 3rd swap with my Wild1 Chubby's 16" apes...what's this talk about the "poly bushings"?
Just for shoots and googles, try ur 16s with stock bushings, and see if it dosnt feel like they are bolted to jellow lol. Poly bushings are super stiff, and take out all the slack from haveing much better leverage to push and pull the suckers arond

Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAMITE 1
Just for shoots and googles, try ur 16s with stock bushings, and see if it dosnt feel like they are bolted to jellow lol. Poly bushings are super stiff, and take out all the slack from haveing much better leverage to push and pull the suckers arond
I went from rubber to poly to solids

Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,943 Likes on 4,885 Posts

I have metal,and they have always worked well,,,,why go to anything else?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Solid mounts? No thanks, I like the damping effect of my poly bushings.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will notice the difference when i took of my mini stock apes off wideglide, they reminded me of a bicycle they were so cheap i started laughing, my carlini`s are night and day, do yourself a favor and look around, save until you can afford a quality bar

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by terrapin88
Just out of curiousity, what brand of bars did you buy and from who?

Thanks
Chris-
Chris, I ended up putting 1 1/4" chubby 16" apes on the Dyna. They were low cost Tiawan bars. They just came wrapped in a cloth cover, no name on them. I bought them from e-bay and they were $100. I have yet to see a flimsy set of chubby apes (even the cheap tiawan bars) and the chrome is good. I also put a set of those 1 1/4" 14" apes on my RoadKing. I think I paid $69 bucks for them about 6 or 8 years ago. they came from Damons. The chrome still looks new.

I just don't care for the looks of Chubby bars on a bike with a narrow glide front end. Just my personal preference though. Some guys like that look. And as others have suggested, use new urethane riser bushings. I get mine from "Bikers Choice". They are red in color and work great.

Last edited by BikerV; 04-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: handlebar quality/price...what's the deal?