General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dragon's tail

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Been there in mid-August and mid-April, both were great times, but we got soaked in August, on the trip down, while we were there, and on the trip home....good times....

Stayed here both times in the tent camping section.
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just wondering what these storms have done to the trees,around the dragon ..I live in west Tenn ...I has been really violent ...been working non stop for past two weeks ....I am a journeyman lineman with 25 yrs exp ...this is the worst I've seen .....

Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I was there when the storms rolled in, just caught the norther tip of it, the mountains protected the area pretty well. Crews had the roads cleared by 1000 hrs the next morning. On my way home rode throughsome areas of north west GA that got hit bad, acres of trees ripped in half pure destruction, can only imagine what Ala got hit with.

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
Just wondering what these storms have done to the trees,around the dragon ..I live in west Tenn ...I has been really violent ...been working non stop for past two weeks ....I am a journeyman lineman with 25 yrs exp ...this is the worst I've seen .....

Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rode it this past Monday with the Florida Crew and it was great. I saw more LEOs going to Maggie Valley and on the ride home then I did going to and riding the Dragon.

Almost anytime of year is good with the exception of some of the winter months. Weekends bring out more police presence then weekdays. And the roads are a bit less crowded as well but you will still see some traffic. All I can say is just come to NC and Tenn and enjoy yourself.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watch the weather before you ride the Dragon. There is a lot of gravel wash out on the roads after a heavy rain.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live within 20 minutes of there. I ride it year round, as for me it's the quickest way to a lot of other good riding on the North Carolina side. I actually like going through there in the winter. Seems to be very little traffic up there then and you aren't going fast enough to get overly cold when it's in the 40's. I wouldn't say there is a bad time of year to go up there, just try to avoid ice or rain. As far as time of week, like everyone else has said, go through the week. Avoid weekends and holidays if possible. If there are too many people up there riding, you can't ride your own ride and enjoy it. You are either stuck behind someone else, or feeling pressured to pull over and let somebody pass. It's possible to experience this during the week as well but not as likely. Try early morning or after about three or so. Everyone always talks about the cops up there, but in the past three years and numerous trips across 129, I've seen cops up there once. They were definately out in force that one day, but they are usually pretty scarce. You will see cops on 129 along Chilhowee Lake though almost everytime you go, so watch the speed limits there. It's really easy to come off the dragon and want to stretch your legs and then realize you are doing 70 in a 45...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
The best time of year... hopefully May 19th since that's when we'll be there.
Hey bigdaddy, just wanted to mention this to you and any others who, like bigdaddy are heading to the Dragon. This is my rear tire Monday the 25th when I pulled it off after a 3 day weekend at the Dragons Tale. Now, this was by no means a new tire when I headed out, but I assure you, I would not have attempted the Dragon on a worn out or dangerous tire. It HAD tread on the 22nd when I arrived. This is what was left of it on Sunday night when a buddy pointed it out to me while loading it up on my trailer. Pretty shocking to say the least since I was maybe a dozen more hard corners till I was in the ditch. Make sure you guys check your tires before and during an outing at Deals Gap.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was just there 2 weeks ago. I have been 3 years during labor day weekend (sept. 6th-ish) and the past 2 years during April. If you want a gauranteed beautiful weekend weatherwise, go in September. Have not had 1 drop of rain those 3 years. Both Aprils it has poured like crazy. Week day is the best time - no traffic. But, if you head there early mornings on the weekend it's also empty.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy it, and ride safe.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my favorite topics around here. Positively love the Dragon and the extended area around it! Go there for a week or two every year, usually near the end of April. Headed there next week (after Mother's Day), but just passing thru going on to Laurel Springs NC. What a blast the riding is around Deals Gap. Fabulous motorcycle roads, fairly low traffic, especially as mentioned on the Dragon on weekdays or anyday early in the morning or after about 3 in the afternoon.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plan enough time to ride the Cherohala Skyway while you're in the area too. It's a better ride than the Dragon to me.

Quick Reply: dragon's tail