General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycles and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teleman
I'm new here and I'm pretty disappointed to see how this thread went. The guy started out asking a fair question. He didn't lecture anyone or try to sway anyone's opinion, he merely stated his own position and asked a question.

Is this how the "Harley culture" works? I hope not. Most of the Harley riders I've met are pretty nice people from a variety of backgrounds and education and they earn a living doing vastly different things, yet they still manage to respect each other.

I don't see anything wrong with someone making a personal decision that they want to do their part to keep this ball o' dirt in good shape. Whether you believe emission producing engines create pollution or not, I would think someone should have the right to come in here and ask a simple question about his exhaust system.

But what do I know, I'm new here and I'm from one o' them blue states.
Thank you.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

to the corner with you.. if we arnt all already dead from 110 years of engine exhaust, 70 years was of which was unregulated.and a couple billion years of campfires.it really isn't that much of a problem.. just another money generating racket forced by the unneeded government and lobbyists..

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
harleydiver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=teleman;8293740]I'm new here and I'm pretty disappointed to see how this thread went. The guy started out asking a fair question. He didn't lecture anyone or try to sway anyone's opinion, he merely stated his own position and asked a question.

Is this how the "Harley culture" works? I hope not. Most of the Harley riders I've met are pretty nice people from a variety of backgrounds and education and they earn a living doing vastly different things, yet they still manage to respect each other.

I don't see anything wrong with someone making a personal decision that they want to do their part to keep this ball o' dirt in good shape. Whether you believe emission producing engines create pollution or not, I would think someone should have the right to come in here and ask a simple question about his exhaust system.

But what do I know, I'm new here and I'm from one o' them blue states.[/QUOTE

Got nothing against NYers--hell, I was born there! If you get away from the urban areas, much of NY is red state type folks. What I do have a problem with, though, is people from those "blue" areas relocating here because of high taxes, etc., and trying to influence us to make the same mistakes that were made where they came from.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 PM
harleydiver
Advanced

Originally Posted by vet767
I figger him for some kind of teacher, Guessing math. Really can't blame the yankees for going south. My Dad hated the winters so after he retired he moved to Hot Springs Village The get a little snow occasionally in the winter, but he loves it. Been there about 20 years now.
The fringe benefits are great here in the South--riding and diving all year round!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by teleman
I'm new here and I'm pretty disappointed to see how this thread went. The guy started out asking a fair question. He didn't lecture anyone or try to sway anyone's opinion, he merely stated his own position and asked a question.

But what do I know, I'm new here and I'm from one o' them blue states.
He also insulted my mother and never apologized. Members have been banned in the past for behavior such as this.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Ha Ha, keep the comments coming. Seriously though, I am sure that many states will follow California's emission control laws. I would be a little nervous if I was in the after market exhaust business.
I agree with this, and it is a serious question. The aftermarket will have to adapt. They did it with autos, they will do it with bikes as well. Soon we will get performance as well as the environment. Just not right now.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 AM
teleman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by schumacher
He also insulted my mother and never apologized. Members have been banned in the past for behavior such as this.
Well now, that wasn't very cool of him to do that....

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Ha Ha, keep the comments coming. Seriously though, I am sure that many states will follow California's emission control laws. I would be a little nervous if I was in the after market exhaust business.
This is the gentlemans' 2nd post and the first talking politics and or laws and let's face it laws are about politics, just ask the liberals around here. Seems to me that he was the one that hijacked his own thread and yeah schu he never did apologize. I think that was probably the first personal attack. always goona go downhill from there.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM
ogh11756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2>4
How are people going to legally modify their exhaust after 2012? Seems like this will put a lot of people out of business.
Don't worry dude!
Everybody knows the world will end on 12/23/2012 anyway.
Anybody going to do anything about the billions of tons of methane coming out of cow @sses??? NO!
Now go sit in the corner!