General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No such thing as "Brotherhood"..its a myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just like to cruise along on a country road by myself or with my wife. I have a few friends I ride with and that's that.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont really know about the biker "brotherhood" thing. I've nver been in a club, but I can count on one hand those who are my true friends. Two are dead and the other is my main dude. Last summer he asked me if anything ever happened to him would I take care of his children. I felt honored and of course I replied as if they were mine. Friends are more often than not just aquaintences and are a dime a dozen, people that you would trust your life with are rare.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To paraphrase Frank Zappa: Shut up and ride your motorcycle.

You actually concern yourself with this kind of thing? Serious?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So which 2 clubs told you to **** off??

Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
So which 2 clubs told you to **** off??

damn , beat me to it LMAO ,

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,895 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Well, I'm sure complaining on the Internet is the solution.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
They show up at my local dealership all the time for swap meets and other stuff. I'm not talking poser clubs either.
I bet thats far from norm. I'm sure they have their reasons and I doubt that it is to socialize with pirates.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

This might sound cliche...
but in order to receive the benefits of brotherhood you have to be a brother first. That can only happen in a tight group like MC, military, fire brigade, etc... how can you expect that from general public?
Shut up and ride. If you're lucky, you'll find someone to call "brother". If you don't, you'll eventually learn to depend on yourself and your OL and won't need anyone else.
The only thing I and few others here have noticed is that the pool we pick brothers from is really shallow these days.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
schwag one
Cruiser

^^^ well said. Typical post...complaining on the internet won't find you a new riding group. People ride because they want to, to get away from their daily norm of a life, its an amazing release from the bull **** of everyday life. HD was created as a past time for the family, then evolved into being a 'brotherhood' now its evolving back to its roots. It seems like you're stuck in the old days and not willing to change as the as the term progresses. Or maybe I'm wrong...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg56
I have been riding since 1978. In that time I have had 4 guys I rode with I with that I could count on 100%. The kind who would have my back in a fight, not try to screw my old lady, and if I called them at 3am with a down bike 200 miles from home, they would come and get me. Every one else I have known talked the talk, but when it came to walking the walk all I got was excuses.

All 4 of those guys I considered my brother, and I will be burying the last of them Saturday. It sucks, but there it is. Brotherhood isn't a myth, but it is so rare it could be.
+1 That's what it's about. Now you may find those guys in an MC and you may not, me I found them in the Corps and even though they're now spread throughout the country I can still call them and they'd drop everything to help if I needed them and I'd do the same for them.

Brotherhood exists, the "myth" is that it is only found in 1% clubs or only among Harley riders. The truth is that it doesn't matter what you're on or even if you're on a bike at all. What matters is what you're made of, plain and simple.

Quick Reply: No such thing as "Brotherhood"..its a myth