General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange noises

Took a trip to the Ozarks for a few days. Trailered it up behind 5th wheel (yes...trailered it. Took the dogs and OL)

Anyway when I first cranked it over, the tapping was pretty loud for a few seconds. It never happened before.
While riding, I am now noticing noises intermittently as if loose pea-sized gravel is kicking up under front fender. I've never heard any of these noises before.

Am I just paranoid or might I have an issue that needs a look?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The first one sounds like maybe a stuck lifter. The second one maybe you were riding on a gravel road. ; )

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Thats what it sounded like. I hope not. Under warranty, but still don't want to have to deal with the dealer warranty issues on that since I change my own fluids. I can just hear the conversation now.

Riding all through the Ozarks in mountains and towns. The gravel noise comes and goes on all of them.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice area to ride in. I want to make it down that way one of these days.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,566 Likes on 3,813 Posts

Since it was not running and all the shaking up and down it may have forced the oil out and took a second to pump up the lifter. Remember when running the lifter only pumps up to remove all clearance. The valve spring overrides it. No big deal. The noise in the fender is gravel. Just kidding. Once you start listen for problems on a Harley your in trouble. Sort of like reading a medical book with a headache and stomach ache. Mine makes all kinds of noises, been doing it for 40K

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-07-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
but still don't want to have to deal with the dealer warranty issues on that since I change my own fluids. I can just hear the conversation now.

as long as y0u keep receipts that documents fluid and filter and some kind of chronological diary as to maintenance as stated in the owners manual, the only conversation you should hear from the dealer is when to drop it off for diagnosis.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,342 Likes on 2,368 Posts

I've heard if you tie down the bike on the trailer in gear the movement of the bike will work into the valve train and actually pump the oil out of the lifter/s. The other tinging sound could be just small gravel being tossed into the fender. You are running premium fuel , aren't you?

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 05-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I have the answers and ANOTHER question that I likely already have the answer to but I will throw it out in the end...

Loud tapping - Exactly as you all have said and not a big deal.

Tinging noise - I took it to Rogers HD right at closing time and let the master tech go for a ride. He says the bike running too lean and with the hill climbs of the Ozarks that I don't get in Dallas, TX the engine is detonating. He suggested riding with RPMs higher in the range. Well that didn't work. I still get it on accellerating on a climb.

The Question:Is there any type of additive that I can run until I get that work done and how damaging to my engine is this to run for a couple more days???

Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the pinging as well- especially on hot days and the dealer is right- it's detonation. A set of Xied's from Nightrider.com cured it. Your fuel injection system is running lean in closed-loop mode- a common issue. Xied's richen the mix in closed-loop to eliminate the detonation. If you plan to keep the bike mainly stock (no more than slipons & an air cleaner) this should take care of it & it'll run you about $100. If you plan big mods a more expensive fuel management system may be in order...

Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lost1
I had the pinging as well- especially on hot days and the dealer is right- it's detonation. A set of Xied's from Nightrider.com cured it. Your fuel injection system is running lean in closed-loop mode- a common issue. Xied's richen the mix in closed-loop to eliminate the detonation. If you plan to keep the bike mainly stock (no more than slipons & an air cleaner) this should take care of it & it'll run you about $100. If you plan big mods a more expensive fuel management system may be in order...
Mainly a stock 103 with a full D&D exhaust, hi flo air cleaner and a download. I'll check out your suggestion.

Quick Reply: Strange noises