General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I am looking to buy Used -- What Do I look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I am looking to buy Used -- What Do I look for

Some of you read in a earlier post of mine that my VSTAR done died. It is getting old and I really don't want to keep it any longer. I will probably fix the thing so that I can a least trade it in. Maybe is going to cost me $650.00 to fix and might get 1,700 on trade in. Its a ten year old bike with 55K miles on it.

So, I have been looking at RK's this last weekend. This particular dealer will give a 30 day guarantee, not exactly sure what the specifics on that is yet.

So,

What kind of things should I check and look for. The bike is being sold at a dealer, so I will be able to test ride it.

They also charge an "Inspection Fee". They told me that covers the bike as if they need to do any replacement parts like tires, battery and what ever. It is suppose to make it showroom ready.

I have also notice other dealers and private individuals are advertising it for 1,500-1,800 over the NADA value. Is this common practice or should I just rule them out and not even waist my time.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that depends on which NADA value you're quoting. Trade-in or Retail. I wouldn't buy from a private individual selling above Retail value unless there were extenuating circumstances, like I knew the seller and the history of the bike.

As for a dealer, they typically sell pretty close to retail value and a little on the high end to give them bargaining room. I'd make an offer just below NADA retail and see if they take it, the worst they can say is no.

What year is the Road King? We'd need to know that before we can realistically tell you what to look watch for on the bike. Oh, and the 30 day warranty is pretty standard and most states require it of dealers, if not longer.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Buy from an individual. Run from the dealer unless you want to pay more for nothing. You can sell your old bike on Craigslist or the newspaper.

When looking for a used bike I first zero in on exactly what I want. When I find it I like to see low mileage and basically a stock condition. I would avoid any engine modifications. Your best bet is a garage queen that was barely ridden. There are tons of them out there. Do your homework and find out what they are selling for then try and undercut that price.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for a good, low milage bike with a few mods you can live with. Some of the better listings will come from craigslist, newspapers, and monthly circulars dedicated to selling motorcycles. Just be aware of the ads with motorcycle prices that are "too good to be true", cause they normally are. A couple of online places to search is EBay and Chopper Exchange. Another source is independent shops that sell bikes on consignment. I find actual dealerships typically have unrealistic mark ups on the more popular models.

As far as the listed price, everyone wants to get the most for their bike. If you're lucky you'll find a motivated seller that you can negotiate with. A site like Chopper Exchange will give you an idea of what used bikes are going for around the country.

http://www.chopperexchange.com/

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You would do well to sell your old bike, 1st. Have cash or financing ready to deal.

Then find a clean, low mileage, late model creampuff in near-stock condition, from a private seller. Avoid modified bikes.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.cycletrader.com is also a good place to check out used bikes

Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody's welcome to say what they want, thus I recommend something old enough to have the five speed transmission. Theirs been a great number of issues with the six speed's.
Flame on, six speeders! LMAO

aka Bob

Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
... Theirs been a great number of issues with the six speed's...
*B.S.*

Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny how so many recommend a bike with no engine mods when the first thing most people do is modify the engine. I don't necessarily disagree with that advice. Maybe a Stage 1 and decent pipes would be OK. I also think low mileage garage queen is a good way to go. I bought my 07 CVO RK a year old with 1700 miles, and the 08 Dyna a year old with 2300 miles. Both looked new. The RK had a SERT and pipes. The Dyna engine was bone stock and still is. Both were bought from dealers with trade ins. I probably could have saved some $ by selling old bikes and not trading, but I am too busy most days to deal with selling a bike. Both have been great bikes with no regrets.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decide on which model you want,then it pretty much boils down to price and condition!
Set your budget! Find one within your budget! Check it over to see that it has been well maintained or take it to a mechanic that can check it out for you.

Quick Reply: So I am looking to buy Used -- What Do I look for