Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   HD instructions on how to install a gremlin bell: (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/652136-hd-instructions-on-how-to-install-a-gremlin-bell.html)

barjbar 06-07-2011 11:26 AM

HD instructions on how to install a gremlin bell:

Open the HD gremlin bell, part no. 2713-0145, by grasping the plastic bag in your forefinger and thumb. See figure 1. Using a HD serrated scissors or suitable tool, cut the bag being careful to not cut yourself with the sharp device. See figure 2. Remove the bell and the tie down. Examine the bell to make sure the clapper moves freely. If required, use HD lube, part no. 84532-67 (not included), and liberally apply to the stem of the clapper. Be careful to not spill lubricant on the fuel tank. See figure 3. Grasping the bell with thumb and forefinger, walk to the front of the bike. See figure 4. From 33 degrees left of the headlight or 12 degrees south, southwest of the left side turn signal, survey the appropriate place to attach the bell to the bike below the belt line of the fuel tank and approximately 4" above the ground level from the right of the rear passenger foot rest. See figure 5. Once the position has been chosen, make sure the bell housing can move freely. See figure 6. Take the enclosed tie down, part no. 57312-2451, insert it through the loop of the bell and around the part you intend to attach the bell to. CAUTION should be used you don't burn your fingers on the exhaust if applied to the RIGHT side of the bike and CAUTION should be used if applied to the LEFT side of the bike from heat from the transmission casing. This can be avoided by installing the bell once the engine has cooled. Insert the narrow end of the tie down through the open end of the tie down. See figure 7. Make sure bell swings freely. If the bell doesn't move freely, remove it and attempt to reapply it or take your bike and the bell to a HD dealership for installation by a qualified technician.

Daddy-O 06-07-2011 11:33 AM

Excellent post but you forgot step 1:

1. Remove battery cables, negative cable first.

I think this should be made "sticky".

Texas T 06-07-2011 11:34 AM

How did I manage to put mine on without these instructions... lol ...

BiggDogg 06-07-2011 11:35 AM

This thread needs pics!!!!!!!!!!! till then i'll leave the bell in its box.

onadraw 06-07-2011 11:39 AM

Who needs instructions...you might get your hands dirty.
My service writer said its only 1/2 hour shop time and if they install it
the warranty will not be affected.

barjbar 06-07-2011 11:59 AM

I was going to install mine on my new EG but I decided after reading the intructions I couldn't do it. Dealership only charged me $219 but it took them 2 weeks to install it. That sucked.

paulies 07 06-07-2011 11:59 AM

I agree with ONADRAW, took no chances on screwing up my warranty, dealer took 30 min.
and only charged me $45.00 to install, looks great and the dealer said I gained 10 HP.

piper59 06-07-2011 12:10 PM

Good stuff,I guarantee you,some yahoo out there is looking for those instructions.I don't see how some people get through life.......F..ing amazing!

Artlee 06-07-2011 12:13 PM

I had my indie install mine. Only $20.00.

SgtThump 06-07-2011 12:16 PM

The dealer told me I had to have my ECM reflashed, so that added another $150 onto the already $60 install charge.