General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Attitude? (gonna start a firestorm)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Attitude? (gonna start a firestorm)

Ok, Let me preface this post by saying I love my bike and what it is about (what I interpret it to be anyway)
BUTTT-
I have read a few posts and replies and got into tangles with some peeps over the mentality of "Live the lifestyle, have the look or don't have the Harley" thing. It seemed as a few people actually get annoyed at people for having had or still having an import along with their Harley or at those who don't set forth the image "as expected" . In my travels and on line life, I found these people to be the extreme minority but still find it fasinating. In a recent post about the skulls on bikes one poster said to the origonal author "You should be riding a Honda" . This post is NOT a jab at him! but more of a survey to see how many people feel this way or WHY they feel this way. I ride and love the Harley but find the saying "If I have to explain it, you would'nt understand" annoying as hell. Kind of like an automatic catchphrase from a loyalist. To me it is easy to explain and understand. I love the vintage feel of the v-twin motor and classic style while having the modern reliability and comfort to travel from coast to coast.

I guess why I dont "understand" is because I am a motorcyclist and not a biker.

Again, I find this attitude to be in the extreme minority but was curious.

Flamesuit is securly on!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Harley Attitude? (gonna start a firestorm)

box,,,,,,,,, nowww , could you rephrase that in Bikers Terms????????

Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Some people are Chevy guys. Some are Ford guys. Nothing wrong with only liking Harleys.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Boxjoint
Tourer

Umm, nope.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM
bobf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those type of people are the minority, just the same as the sportbike minority that dishes crap to HD riders about low/slow, leaking oil, etc. I get a kick out of reading the threads on other boards about other bike bashing. Small minded people can be annoying, unless you can find some humor in it all.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Boxjoint
Tourer

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

Some people are Chevy guys. Some are Ford guys. Nothing wrong with only liking Harleys.
Ohh, I FULLY agree with you but that was not my point. It's like a ford guy having a conversation with another ford owner and one says "I really don't care for Carl Shelby's stuff" and the other replies "Well get a damn Chevy then! "

I guess I was questioning the attitude of "Like it the same way I do or don't ride one" .
People like their bikes for many many different reasons. Life would be boring if we all had our Harleys for the same exact reason.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Boxjoint
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bobf

Those type of people are the minority, just the same as the sportbike minority that dishes crap to HD riders about low/slow, leaking oil, etc. I get a kick out of reading the threads on other boards about other bike bashing. Small minded people can be annoying, unless you can find some humor in it all.
I belong to a SPort Touring board and the Jib the Harleys big time. BUT- like you said, most of it is friendly ribbing but some of it can be sniffed out as sinciere hatred-which sucks.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

oh no,,,,, does this mean skinny little BMW geeks will be on the streets w/ball bats "harley Bashin"???

Old 11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well honestly,.... I really like most brands of bikes. I guess why I prefer a Harley over the Jap bikes is because as far as cruisers go, Harley is the one bike that the other companies are trying to imitate. Think about it,.... You dont see Honda advertise anymore with the slogan, You meet the nicest people on a Honda, and I feel thats because they realize the largest percentage of Harley riders may be nice people, but they want the look of bad a$$'s when they ride,...and yes I guess I'm kinda guilty of that as well. I kinda like the fact that I can go to work everyday and be a baseball coach and just be an average Joe and then when I want to ride at times I can have my alter ego when I'm on my bike. So with all that in mind,..... That is exactly why the phrase " If I have to explain you wouldnt understand",... does make sense to me, but who knows maybe its just in my head,..... But bottom line is I will ride with anyone who enjoys riding ,.....

John

Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

john,, I get it,, for you its like Halloween 24/7,

Quick Reply: Harley Attitude? (gonna start a firestorm)