General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

June Motorcyclist article about new Harleys built in India for the US market

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a supply & demand thing. I was raised union & have worked union my entire life. Made in America means something to me & as long as my bike is made & assembled in this country I will certainly support the Motor Co.
That being said, if the US market bikes started being imported from India I would be first in line to buy a Victory if I were looking to buy a new bike. As it is I plan on keeping my Limited forever!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandman2004
+2 I agree
You're absolutely correct. The world's biggest untapped market with many products ...India/Asia markets.

..they love their motorbikes there and HD is a dream bike for them...after all, they're already familiar with the HD line of clothes...they make them!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer

If foreign markets keep HD going through these tough times, more power to them. Just don't forget where they came from.
As for the future, we all know alternative power is the way to go. 25 years from now, what will HD be building? Rather start something in a distant country than at home. The Asian market will more willing to accept such ideas, especially from the mighty Harley Davidson.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"I will be carrying them right over by the squishy machine"

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are kiddin right?
Nope. I'm not a big car guy, so maybe I'm not plugged in, but I still think mercedes makes a high quality luxury car that I can't afford. Guess I'm out of the loop.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
va_bank
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dilemma
Stick to your customer base. .
Could be the famous last words.

HD is going after baby boomers' wallets with a vengeance, while doing NOTHING for the next generations. Unless boomers are going to live forever, HD is screwing themselves out of their own future.

30 and 20-somethings inherited a financially devastated country, so instead of trying to build bikes for over educated and underemployed younger Americans, they just simply going to go off to Asia and build 250cc Harley for the 2 billion people market. Problem solved.

And no, I don't believe indian built bikes will be sold here. Too many import tariffs and emission control/safety standards issues will offset the cheap cost of indian labor.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
32vld
Road Master

Originally Posted by va_bank
Could be the famous last words.

And no, I don't believe indian built bikes will be sold here. Too many import tariffs and emission control/safety standards issues will offset the cheap cost of indian labor.

Royal Enfields are built there and are sold here.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
schumacher
Club Member

The Buell blast replacement is being built there and brought over here for sale and is going to be used in the Rider's Edge courses.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
va_bank
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 32vld
Royal Enfields are built there and are sold here.
Rules are a lot different for corporations based in U.S. vs. Internationally. I still could be wrong, but if I had to bet money I would bet on indian models NOT being sold in U.S.

Originally Posted by schumacher
The Buell blast replacement is being built there and brought over here for sale and is going to be used in the Rider's Edge courses.
But does that mean they will also be sold to the public? And when? Is there a link where I can read about this? Google search turned up only rumors....

Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM
schumacher
Club Member

But does that mean they will also be sold to the public? And when? Is there a link where I can read about this? Google search turned up only rumors....
didn't you read the title of this thread?

Quick Reply: June Motorcyclist article about new Harleys built in India for the US market