General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible, or even a good idea to extend foot controls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it possible, or even a good idea to extend foot controls?

If my floorboards were out another inch, and brake pedal was out maybe another 2 inches ... i think i might be happier.

Is that possible? Or has anyone tried it and found it was annoying or something? Maybe would the floorboards stick out too far when leaning or something?

Thanks im very new to this, havent put much thought or research into it.

i have an 04 FLSTCI

Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of folks make Forward control Extensions, I have a 3" set on a Softail Custom and it is much finer than the factory. They won't work with crash bars installed though. These are the ones I installed. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/540-...utm_medium=cse

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
rsarno
Road Master

How did i know it would be a couple hundred bucks lol

i was thinking maybe the arm that the pad connects to, maybe someone made one that places the pad a bit further away from bike .. so i dont have to bend my foot inward to use the break

was hoping would be like a $50 mod, darnit

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you can buy spacers that move your boards out 1/2-1"..kits cost about $40.i have had a 1"set on my 01 EG for 2 years. haven't scrapped the boards once.they make extended brakes and shifters but it gets really pricy

Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley goodies makes the floor board extensions that U are looking for, he is a site sponsor and very nice to deal with. I have them on my bike with a kury brake pedal extension and the combo is very compfy, try that out I think you'll be happy with it.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 PM
rsarno
Road Master

If i space the boards out a bit but dont extend the controls, wouldnt it worsten my problem of having to turn my toe in to brake?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
If i space the boards out a bit but dont extend the controls, wouldnt it worsten my problem of having to turn my toe in to brake?
The floor board extenders make the whole thing MUCH more comfortable, and it does not (for some reason) lessen my ability to reach the controls at all. Reach him on this site. He is excellent, and gives discounts to Forum members. Here's the general website:

HarleyGoodies.com

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno

You are correct, thats why I said Kury brake pedal extension and I also extended my shift pedal out 1" also, not that hard to do, chrome spacer and longer bolt from my local hardware store for the shift pedal extension.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
rsarno
Road Master

Revisiting this thread, as it has become more of an issue.

As im riding the bike im noticing my foot is only half on the floorboard. Partly because of my extended aircleaner, partly because im a big dude with big feet, and feet flat on the boards isnt comfortable where they are.

Also i noticed the rubber sole of my shoe is melted, apparently it sat on the pipe at some point lol.

So Id like to extend my floorboards out some, but have a few concerns.

1. It looks like my brake cylinder is attached to my floorboard mount, as if its one piece. Or maybe the boards mount to the same bracket. Anyhow, it appears it will be an issue if i try to extend boards. Any feedback?

2. If i push my boards out 1.25" am i going to have an issue shifting or braking with foot? The last thing i want to do is open a can of worms here.