General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my 6 year old goes on his first ride..>>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:22 PM
FLHX_Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my 6 year old goes on his first ride..>>>

Saturday was a wonderful day. I am part of a trio (dragonfly920.net) that put on a charity ride for Hospice here in West Central Florida which was a sucess (Thank you everyone!).
As the day was winding down, I decided it was time for my boy to actually take his passenger experience a tad farther. Up until now he has been on the back in
our neighborhood only. So I went into the gracious dealership (Kawasaki shop, Shhhhhh... it's okay they are great people!) that sponsored our ending point of our ride and
purchased a small full-face helmet for him and told the wife it was time.

The little guy has such a blast. We hit the main road and for the first time we crested 55mph. He was hooting and hollering like mad. He was having a grand time. This was a wonderful moment for me as well, to share my love of riding with my son, even though Momma was a bit tense. No matter how many years I have been riding and racing dirt bikes and such, she still has a great fear of motorcycles. So compound that fear with our only child and you can imagine her thoughts. It's not that she doesn't like bikes, she does, she just prefers to look at them at a show as opposed to riding on them. She supports me Harley Habit, so I give her a free pass.

I love it, the little guy is into it! One of those proud moments in life sharing your passion with another, especially your son...

Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,717 Likes on 4,092 Posts
Default RE: So my 6 year old goes on his first ride..>>>

That was great. Thanks!!

Oh btw, did the poor kid get those ears from his mother or from you?

ORIGINAL: FLHX_Rider

Saturday was a wonderful day. I am part of a trio (dragonfly920.net) that put on a charity ride for Hospice here in West Central Florida which was a sucess (Thank you everyone!).
As the day was winding down, I decided it was time for my boy to actually take his passenger experience a tad farther. Up until now he has been on the back in
our neighborhood only. So I went into the gracious dealership (Kawasaki shop, Shhhhhh... it's okay they are great people!) that sponsored our ending point of our ride and

The little guy has such a blast. We hit the main road and for the first time we crested 55mph. He was hooting and hollering like mad. He was having a grand time. This was a wonderful moment for me as well, to share my love of riding with my son, even though Momma was a bit tense. No matter how many years I have been riding and racing dirt bikes and such, she still has a great fear of motorcycles. So compound that fear with our only child and you can imagine her thoughts. It's not that she doesn't like bikes, she does, she just prefers to look at them at a show as opposed to riding on them. She supports me Harley Habit, so I give her a free pass.

I love it, the little guy is into it! One of those proud moments in life sharing your passion with another, especially your son...

Old 11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, glad he enjpoyed the ride

Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 PM
FLHX_Rider
Cruiser

Hahahahahaha!!! Good one Big Sled!

I really dig that photo of him. We were at the Gatornationals this year and I was a little concerned if he (or Momma) could handle the noise of the
fuel cars. So with proper ear protection in place I was in my glory as you can see that S#%T Eating grin on his face as another Nitro car
was doing a burnout! A little gearhead and into Harleys... There is such a thing as a perfect life!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHX_Rider

Cool,my 8yr old started riding with me this summer.He loves it

Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

Congrats!!!
I know how you feel. My son(33yo) and I rode in a benefit ride for an injured motor officer and my almost 6yo grandson rode on the back of my RKC. We had a hoot!
He rides his own dirt bike, but this was his 1st time on the open road. His dad has a bike with no rear fender!?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stogie/...7594362590569/

Stogie

Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

That will be something he will remember forever!

I can tell you I was about 4 years old when I had my first ride with my dad. The tank was that avacado/pea green color. I remember looking forward to each ride I got to take with my dad. For my graduation from highschool we went on a 2 week trip around the eastern US. I still smile thinking about it - one of my favorite memories.

My children have grown up riding as well. Presently 2 of 4 are riding. Oldest has just expressed an interest in learning to ride up front vs 2 up with one of us and the youngest is chomping at the bit for momma to get him a dirt bike because he knows he can ride that!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

I can't even start my bike if my 6 year old is home. She comes flying out of the house...jacket open, shoes untied, wanting her helmet.

She hoots & hollars too. Must be the thing to do at that age. My wife supports it, she rode with her Dad from age 3. My parents, not so much. It's there one and probably only Grandchild.

I hear her at redlights going, "Potato Potato Potato" in her helmet. And under bridges, I have to get on it for her to hear it. And she likes Fuel Cars and Jet Funny Cars too.

FLHX...can you keep your son away from my daughter in 10 years...sounds like they could be trouble. Glad you got to experience the joyful part of parenthood. To many folks don't involve their children in their activities anymore. Mine was devastated when I sold the snowmobiles, but after the first "potato ride" she doesn't miss them one bit. Yesterday she was asking to go deer hunting with me again this year while she was shooting her bow...YUP! You said it best: "There is such a thing as a perfect life".

[IMG]local://upfiles/18164/38D4A0EDF6EE4CA9BB66193B22C68B84.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see parents getting their kids involved. i hope no one here is putting their child in front. i see it every once in a while and i cringe. the parent has little control in preventing injury or worse to the child that is not behind the operator. in alabama a rider has to have a permanent seat and footpegs available.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:48 PM
sxs hillbilly
Outstanding HDF Member

Any time our 2 year old grandson is here for the night or weekend him and I HAVE to ride around on the tractor...................several times. About a month ago he asked my wife (Nana) "What is that?" She said that's Papa's Harley, and he said "Papa Hah-wee". When I came by he said "'Anta wide it Papa". I told the wife to get ready to catch him when I started it cause I figgered he'd take off running. Heck no, he was mad cause I started it without him on it! I set him in front of me and we eased down the road about a half mile then came back. He leans on the tank and only turns loose to wave at anybody we meet, he wants EVERYBODY to see him. Life is good.

Quick Reply: So my 6 year old goes on his first ride..>>>