General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 AM
JasonInAnnapolis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mainly have to worry about not looking over the edge, and having the "what if" scenarios flying thru your head....at least that's what happened with me. The expansion joints are a piece of cake....will only feel like a bump...you'll be fine. Here's a tip though, when you're coming back (heading west bound), stay in the middle lane. The right and left lane have had a lot of patching and repair and is bumpy as hell.

Just keep your margins, protect your space and you'll be just fine. When you do work up the nerve to look around, it's one heck of a view!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rustell
I don't think anybody has ever fallen off that bridge.
If this is an attempt at humor, I like your sarcasm. If you actually believe this, you are very wrong.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 AM
NAMVET
Tourer

People have gone off that bridge. I cross it weekly. The biggest problem with that bridge and motorcycles is the expansion joints while going west bound, and the new price increase.

If your worry is the metal grating, forgetaboutit. Not an issue anymore.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i rode the chessepeake bay bridge last year when going to Outer Banks, i rode from upstate NY to OBX, stayed there for 10 days with family and rode back, I somehow talked the wife into driving with the kids while i took the bike.

do it and have fun, i have a fat front tire but i didn't see anything that would give you any problems at all.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, That brings back memories of my Big truck days. I used to run that way from Richmond to New Jersey every Sunday night and do city work in New York city all week and come home on Friday nights. It was grated back then. Use to always Stop at Money's in Delaware and get a Steak and Cheese. Wonder if it's still there?

Ride it man and enjoy it!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM
oldrookie011
Stage I

Just rode the bridge last weekend with several other riders on the way to the beach. As others have said, no problems at all. More problems on westbound return trip from other drivers.

For some reason they seem to want to brake hard at crest of span for no apparent reason.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clear this up, the OP is talking abouth the ''Bay Bridge'' not the CBBT

and no bud the grates are gone except for middle lane grate.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 823 Likes on 530 Posts

Just to note, I realize the OP is talking about the "bay bridge" not the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
However, anyone using the "CBBT", there are three things to really watch out for.
1. the cross winds can get nasty. Sometimes if the wind is really bad, they will only allow cars to pass. Big rigs, rv's, any kind of trailers, and motorcycles will not be permitted to cross.
2. The "CBBT" has their own police and they take speeding pretty darn serious.
3. At night on the Eastern Shore, WATCH OUT for the deers!

Other than that, like others have said, piece of cake. I believe it's one of "7 wonders of the world" and is the longest bridge, tunnels.
It's a truly beautiful and easy ride, two lanes in both directions.

Ride Safe,

YB

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rustell
Brings back memories....I rode across that bridge the night I graduated from High School ...41 years ago....On a Sears 106..
You'll be OK..I don't think anybody has ever fallen off that bridge.
I don't think anyone has fallen off either, BUT, there have been a few jumpers this year. Not to worry, we'll find them sooner or later.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

The CCBT and the Bay Bridge (Rt. 50) are both great crossings. Just be steady and let her ride, nothing major to worry about unless the weather is a factor, then watch the winds and lean into them. Been across both many times, visually stunning and lots to see and smell!

Quick Reply: Chesapeake Bay Bridge