Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Test road the Night rod but buying a Fatboy! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/665361-test-road-the-night-rod-but-buying-a-fatboy.html)

Zakk13 07-12-2011 04:37 PM

Test road the Night rod but buying a Fatboy!

Well as some of you know im buying a new Harley! The 2 bikes that caught my eye where the Night rod special and the Fatboy or the Fatboy Lo. I test drove the Night rod today and its a great bike with a very smooth engine but its just not the bike for me! I felt really high up and too forward just didnt like that position at all. Now with that being said would the reach handle bars help and sit me more upwrite maybe but what dealer is going to change the handle bars for me and then let me ride it? No one bye me! Anyway the front end also just felt to skinny for me, i guess im just use to the big and fatter tank like my Night train had. The big 240 rear also made it harder to lean! So with all that being said the fatboy was much more comfy but it was the regular fatboy still have to take a Lo for a ride! But their pretty much the same bike just ones lower and blacked out! So i think its down to the Fatboy vs Fatboy Lo for sure! I really felt alot more stable on the Fatboy also compaird to the Night rod. And the suspention was alot better also. The Fatboy is going to be alot better for 2 up ridding also. Couldnt imagine my wife behind me on that Night rod! Well it Fatboy vs Fatboy Lo i guess unless Harley comes out with a new killer bike for 2012 but we shall see!

philstill 07-12-2011 04:44 PM

you'll love the Fatboy...no matter which you choose.

dcgray2 07-12-2011 04:45 PM

Definitely Lo... Also, a fair number of people that have bought the Lo (including me) felt the stock bars were too far forward. Move them back and up 3" or so and they are perfect for normal armed people. YMMV.

TORQUEY 07-12-2011 04:46 PM

The problem for me with the Lo is that I was still leaning too far forward. i put 4" pullback riders on the standard (and arguably better looking) FatBoy and found my love.

Zakk13 07-12-2011 05:03 PM

Well just comparing the too the dealer gave me 2 out the door prices for the Fatboy and the Fatboy Lo! Oh and theis are 2012 prices because of the bigger engine 103 inch the bikes are going to be $500 more! Any way for a 2012 Fatboy price is $17,600 otd.. For the Lo its $17,989 otd. Thats a $389 dollar difference which is weird to me cause the regular Fatboy is caked in chrome i would think that bike would be more! So i might be considering the regular Fatboy cause that gives me almost $400 towards MODS!:icon_naughty:

N58TB 07-12-2011 05:37 PM

I'm 5'8" and I also moved the stock bars back on my Fat Boy Lo. I added the sundowner deep bucket seat and that seemed to make the stock bars too far away and I had to lean or sit up to reach them and didn't have the bend in my elbow. With the pull back risers on it they fit perfect. Very comfortable, love it.

Can't ride it enough.

Which ever one you end up with, just spend a little time to make sure the bike is fit to you properly and you'll love it.

:icon_toast:

Zakk13 07-12-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by N58TB (Post 8563390)
I'm 5'8" and I also moved the stock bars back on my Fat Boy Lo. I added the sundowner deep bucket seat and that seemed to make the stock bars too far away and I had to lean or sit up to reach them and didn't have the bend in my elbow. With the pull back risers on it they fit perfect. Very comfortable, love it.

Can't ride it enough.

Which ever one you end up with, just spend a little time to make sure the bike is fit to you properly and you'll love it.

:icon_toast:

Well im 6ft 240 lbs and according to 2 different dealers the regular Fatboy will fit me better! But i still want to take a LO for a ride! Right now tho im leaning toward the Fatboy!

stro1965 07-12-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zakk13 (Post 8563264)
Oh and theis are 2012 prices because of the bigger engine 103 inch the bikes are going to be $500 more!

The softails are getting the 103"? I thought it was just the touring line?

In any case, I vote for the standard Fatboy!

Zakk13 07-12-2011 06:06 PM

Well its just a rumor for now brother but the prices on the softails are going up $500 for 2012 and no dealer that i talked to denied it! The dealers just look at me with a half grin and say ya i herd that too but we wont know for sure until july 20th.. Im goning to say that i would bet alot of money that they are!

SurfGuitar141 07-12-2011 06:07 PM

I'm biased....as you can tell from my sig photo...... Standard Fat Boy.....