General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley needs to bring back some of the "Standard" bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

I always thought the FXST witht he gray motor and black tin was one of the most beautiful bikes Harley put out.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
Sounds like a great plan, base everything on accessoriy sales and a false sense of "prestige" (by charging a premium price for a mediocre product but marketing it as the "best") and avoid direct competition with anybody who makes a clearly better machine. I can't believe it's worked so well for HD for so long now.
The old Pooperoo. Man why are you here??? You don't like Harleys, fine, but get lost. Go buy a Honda or a Victory.

Sheesh...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like a great plan, base everything on accessoriy sales

Been the MOCO's plan for over ten years now. I'll give em that they are brilliant marketers.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 07-15-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So some of you are saying that Harley's should all be expensive so as to keep out the riff raff huh?

Maybe they should just stop making anything but CVO's? That'd make it an exclusive club...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpsexton
So some of you are saying that Harley's should all be expensive so as to keep out the riff raff huh?

Maybe they should just stop making anything but CVO's? That'd make it an exclusive club...
shhhhh..............you're giving away willie g's top secret plans

Last edited by schumacher; 07-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a ElectraGlide Standard and was sad to see them do away with the model. At $16,500 in '08 it was a cheaper than a lot of Softails, which is why they got rid of it, of course.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 925 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
The old Pooperoo. Man why are you here??? You don't like Harleys, fine, but get lost. Go buy a Honda or a Victory.

Sheesh...
Whaaaaaa, the cool kids don't want to play with me........
I've got news for you, I don't need yours, or anyone elses acceptance.

I stick around because I do still own a HD product, of sorts, and because there is a certain entertainment value to this forum. Besides, I like inserting a bit of reality from outside of the flock every once in a while. Are you really going to argue that what I said is false? Granted, the "mediocre product" part is certainly debatable but I'd say the rest is right on target.

I buy the product that best fits what I place value on (performance, price, reliability, comfort- pretty much in that order) irregardless of the name that happens to be on the tank. "Prestige" is nowhere on my list and I believe only a great fool thinks he/she can buy "prestige" from an object, be it a Harley, a BMW, a Rolex or whatever.
Currently, the MoCo offers VERY little that meets more than 1 of my criteria at a time but there is always hope (although the general attitude of the Harely buying public does dampen that hope some). If I were in the market right now Victory and Yamaha would be the first 2 stops on my search for "the one" (nothing from Honda really interest me at the time, thank you very much); HD would be the last.
I stop in the local dealer every now and then to check out the new bikes and check for updates here and on the web but all I keep seeing is the same old tired crap; no progress, no improvement, just the same old HEAVILY marketed "parts bin" styling changes with "new" higher prices.
HD is the "home team" and I want them to do well but I blindly follow NO company and I have no problem critisizing their buisiness practices or their products if I don't like them.

A STANDARD Sportster with a decent suspension (non-lowered), decent brakes and a non pathetic amount of HP for a reasonable price would certainly pique my interest. Nothing of the sort currently exists though.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I told you

also, if that's what people really wanted, domestic sales wouldn't have quadrupled to the millionth time in the past quarter
Quite.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a great plan, base everything on accessoriy sales and a false sense of "prestige" (by charging a premium price for a mediocre product but marketing it as the "best") and avoid direct competition with anybody who makes a clearly better machine. I can't believe it's worked so well for HD for so long now.
Easy there, tiger. "Best" is a difficult word to define - we may have differing opinions about what we want out of a motorcycle.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Been the MOCO's plan for over ten years now. I'll give em that they are brilliant marketers.
It won't all be in the accessories, but I'll bet a hefty chunk is. How many more dollars have YOU paid the MoCo since buying your bike?

Same goes for parts, too.

Quick Reply: Harley needs to bring back some of the "Standard" bikes!