General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 AM
tron2
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow,

This post is a real eye opener - even though I can't wait to retake my MSF course (I am a newbie - see earlier thread posted by me)...and I realized that even heat act as a major distraction. When I was taking the class few weeks ago - severe temperatures almost dehydrated me - paying attention is key here (I was drinking lots of water - but that wasn't enough - I should have had Gatorade).

Anyway - speaking of turns - I know the class talks about it - slowing down in turn without brakes definitely takes practice as in a car one can get away with it - but not a bike.

Even if I get a V-Rod or Fatboy (V-rod most likely)...I will ride it nothing in empty lots and maybe when I have some practice - just down the straight from where I live - in empty traffic...

Practice and tons of Practice I need - before I start driving in some traffic.

One thing is for sure - slowing down in turns (especially doing Out-In-Out movement is critical and it requires active planning when riding a bike (I did take the riding lessons - just didn't get to all of them for now)...

Please be safe everyone and practice, practice and more practice

peace,

tron2

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
KingGator
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew a guy that had a hard crash, he was never the same mentally. A lot of people that get into riding see it the same as driving so they aren't extra defensive. Plus these drivers today are too busy texting and playing with their mp3 players to pay attention. It's not nearly as safe as it used to be with the amount of cars on the road and other distractions.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tron2

Anyway - speaking of turns - I know the class talks about it - slowing down in turn without brakes definitely takes practice as in a car one can get away with it - but not a bike.

No disrespect tron, but this is the kind of **** that gets people killed. You CAN (and should IMHO) be on at least the front brake as you enter a turn. It's called trail braking and it transfers the weight forward and increases traction to the front tire. Many people feel it is the most efficient way to turn a motorcycle.

Too many riders come into a turn too hot and think that they must straighten the bike before braking. This results in bikes in the wrong lane, off the road, or buried in the grill of a semi coming the other way.

I am not saying that the technique is for everyone in every circumstance but being the best rider possible requires folks to put as many techniques as possible in their "tool bag" and use them as appropriate.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

Let's face it...riders ain't gonna slow down. What we all need is advanced training, like a trackday course to develop better cornering skills. Money spent on training is much more worthwhile than buying pipes, cams, bling, etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just started another thread where I was hoping we could discuss some advanced riding techniques and their application.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l-braking.html

I agree that advanced training would benefit all riders. Maybe some riders feel that since they can easily ride in typical riding situations, that's all the skill that's needed.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally i have this view if you want to be a wall of death rider i dont have a problem with that just that when your doin it dont expect me to stop if it goes **** up! .....As you sow so shall you reap I dont pay for others stupidity ...............

Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Your going to go, where your looking.
That is why I always look straight up.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the guys at another branch lost control missed a curve hit a tree. died enroiute to the hospitol this happened last friday. New rider new bike. first time out I understand from the co workers who knew him.
He was with a couple seasoned riders, My guess they fell into the curve. newbie in back the other guys were leaving him behind and he speeded up and couldnt maintain his line. Very sad He is not the first and wont be the last. You'll be safe

Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too fast into the turn. Taking the wrong line and not hitting the apex. Looking at the ditch/trees/guardrail and not looking through the turn where you want to go. Riding while intoxicated or really tired.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHP1034ME
Get struck by lightning...that's an accident...
nope, it means God hates you

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?