General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking a curve too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must be really cool to live in "perfect" world.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Hx3
As a moron who has drug his knee through almost every turn on Deal's Gap, run expert class at the race track, had a long slide at 120 MPH on my knee and my bike's sidewalls without laying the bike down, hit a large patch of sand in the middle of a very fast turn (couldn't see it due to shade from a tree) and never crashed in a turn, I think I can accurately say there is no reason to end up in the above scenario. The key is to always ride within your limits and know the bike's cornering limits. I always leave a little bit of margin and if it's a new road I'll take it slow enough to not end up surprised to the point of crashing. A lot of people have no idea how far over their bike will go before hard parts start pivoting the bike off the tire contact patch. Also, a lot of people don't realize that you can actually use your front brake while leaned way over in a turn, as long as you're very careful with how much brake pressure you apply. If I ended up in the above scenario I would just roll off the throttle, ease on the front brake a little bit, lean over a little more, look where I want to go and pat myself on the back for doing a good job of saving the turn. Then I would take stock of the lessons I learned from being in over my head in the first place. But that's just me......
I'm sure your right. But because I was too high in the corner and draggin my pipe tips and peg allready do you think I could have saved it? Bieng serious. Never consiously thought about using the front brake in a corner and heck maby I allready do and dont know it.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to watch at how the Polezie could handle their BMWs (motorcycles) in germany back in the 70's. whether it was rainy, foggy, frozen cobblestone, or in snow.
one night i remember a chase and the polezie right on a guys tail and they came up on the town fountain, which was a 90 degree sharp turn and that guy was riding extra hot. he deliberately laid it down before the turn and slid until he revved it up and popped it back up and finished chasing the guy down.
he knew exactly what he was gonna do when to do it and what results he wanted and committed.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
hkfooey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would down shift and apply rear bake... and pray real hard...

Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i went through the advanced riders Harley school, i was told and even wrote it down. i checked my notes before answering... when coming in too hot best thing to do, is either, counter steer, roll the throttle and look where you want the bike to go, or straighten up and hit the brakes as hard as the scooter will take to keep the wheels rolling without locking up.

me myself, i have had to straighten up twice coming into corners too hot. worked for me so far. but then again i had the space and i was very lucky both times,

Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just this summer I watched my friend choose not to continue on his turn as he came in fast to a exit ramp. He chose to go straight into the grass. Well the grass was really weeds in loose gravel. Front wheel dug in after about 50' and launched him skyward (he said he leaped...I'm not so sure). Totaled a nice RG. He only had bruises, but I think he could have totally made it with some effort. We are talking the gradual exit, not the loop. He was leading the group and said he had an mechanical emergency, us that were following made the quick exit, not sure why he didn't.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Quickly do a couple lines of crank. Only then will you realize your speed is way too slow for any real fun in that particular part of the road........

Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
I'm sure your right. But because I was too high in the corner and draggin my pipe tips and peg allready do you think I could have saved it? Bieng serious. Never consiously thought about using the front brake in a corner and heck maby I allready do and dont know it.
If you were already dragging your pipe tips and pegs you may have had no chance to save it. But, it means that you left yourself no safety valve. Being in a gear that will allow engine braking, being able to use the front brake, or just the parts dragging (you can use your knee on the ground on the track to actually slow the bike down some) should have allowed for enough bleeding off of speed to make it through the corner. Otherwise you were just in way too fast.....

Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meatsack
It must be really cool to live in "perfect" world.
Nah, what's really cool is being in the "perfect" setting for learning the limits of you and your motorcycle, which is a racetrack.

Attached Thumbnails taking a curve too fast-dsc_3939.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Too Fast

I rode the Cherohala Skyway and the "Dragon" today. There is one curve on the Cherohala, when you are going east, that is a decreasing radius turn and it got really tight. I had to use a little front brake in order to make the curve. I have ridden that road quite a few time but never had a problem like today. So, front braking does in fact work as long as it is applied lightly. Don't "tuck" the front end with too much braking .
On the "Dragon", I also overcooked a turn but there was no way front braking was going to save me this time. I pulled the bike upright and got on booth brakes really hard, because I realized I was in trouble early on and that's what saved me. I had enough space to brake and stop before I hit a bank.
Just use common sense and don't ride over you head or abilities.

Last edited by dyna rider; 09-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: taking a curve too fast