General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S super E

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 AM
hog85
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys but I have adjusted the pump just like the instructions say and it gets better but the hesitation doesn't completly go away

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like accelerator pump!!, screw it in an turn it back out 2 full turns,or turn it out quarter at a time until the stumbling stops

Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 AM
hog85
Intermediate

Bout ready to give up on this carb and et a different type done every thing everyone has said and adjusted it like s&s says to do but it still stalls,when the bike is warmed up if i crack the throttle real fast the engine will die if i roll the throttle it's fine,if i leave the enricher on and crack th throttle it responds great ,I have check for leaks sprayed wd40 and no leaks this carb has done this from day and it was brand new

Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM
hog85
Intermediate

Bout ready to give up on this carb and get a different type done every thing everyone has said and adjusted it like s&s says to do but it still stalls,when the bike is warmed up if i crack the throttle real fast the engine will die if i roll the throttle it's fine,if i leave the enricher on and crack th throttle it responds great ,I have check for leaks sprayed wd40 and no leaks this carb has done this from day and it was brand new

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carburetors are like cooking rice to me, try though I have, I never get it quite right by myself.
I'm pretty fond of Edelbrock single, downdraft carbs. By myself, always had better luck w/ Zenith carbs but they aren't real popular & a buddy gave me good reason to try the Mikuni.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact issue with my sporty. Messed with it forever. Took it to my Indy shop and he said it was running really lean. I couldn't tell you specifically what jets he changed or what he changed them to, but it ran like a raped ape after that. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I do know that for someone who is experienced tuning S&S carbs, it should be a pretty simple fix.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,304 Likes on 17,619 Posts

Accel pump system isn't getting the gas to the port make sure the little check ball in the pump cover is free and doing it's job a really small bit of rust or crude is all it takes to wipe that one fuel will bypass back into the pump instead of out the throat port . I've had to file the end of the rods a bit to get the correct amount of throw for a full squirt on a few and make very sure you don't have a slight intake leak going on that will give the symptoms you describe also . Leave the main alone that doesn't come into play till 2500 to 2800 RPM anyway , turn your mixture screw a 1/4 turn to the fat side and try again .

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TwiZted is spot on with his diagnosis. If you've adjusted the accel pump screw and got no joy, pull the accel pump cover and clean/check for debris.

Be careful not to lose the ball, spring and tear the diaphragm when you pull it apart.

Also when you re adjust the screw I suggest you turn it no more than 1/8 turn at a time. Adjust to rich first till you see a little black smoke when you crack the throttle hard, then turn it back till the smoke just goes away. At that point you should have a good setting.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM
hog85
Intermediate
Default update on S&S carb

I did notice that with the air cleaner off and ideling at about 1000 rpm if I crack the throttle real fast fuel spits out of the carb like it's blowing back

Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Could it be reversion? Why would it do that?

Quick Reply: S&S super E