General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wonder motorcycle deaths are up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Buffalo Rider
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
IMO, the best approach to learning how to ride is the stair-step approach: start out on the small bikes and work you're way up to the bigger bikes. There are lessons to be learned on smaller bikes that, if not mastered, could prove disasterous on larger bikes. I'm convinced if you start out on a large bike without having "paid your dues" on smaller bikes first, that you will never achieve full mastery of your machine. Just my opinion, and I make no claim of having mastered every facet of riding. There's always room for improvement.
Very well put and so very true. I cringe every time I read someone giving advice to new riders to "get the bike you really want, you will regret starting on a smaller bike you will outgrow, I started on a RK and glad I did". I've met these people and ridden with them, they are lacking skills and don't even know it. This mentality can lead to disastrous results, maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but someday that individual will find themselves in a position where they need skills they never learned and find out the hard way why their decision was wrong.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Buffalo Rider
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JWD
Not that I disagree with the course, I encourage new riders to take it. But, I have two people in my neighborhood that went through the course this spring. One rides 2-3 times a week, the other maybe once a week, Rode with them both month and half ago, short ride to a bike night, neither were close to confident.

Last weekend our group went on a short 50 mile 1 way ride back country roads, thought the newbies would be ready, invited them.

For the duration of the trip neither one could keep up, we waited for them all afternoon, main group took it very easy never over 50 mph.

At the end of the day when we asked why they travled so slow they both stated they were scared of the curves, deer as it was country roads and other animals coming into the road!

Now I'm not sure what they taught them in class but they are clearly scared to death of the enviroment around them.

Do they take safety to the extreme and scare the living **** out of them to the point they go so slow they're a danger on the roads?
It sounds like they paid too much attention to the lecture of the dangers on the road and weren't paying attention when the instructor told them to take the techniques taught in class home and practice! Too many nooks think all they need to do is intellectually learn how to ride a bike, they don't realize they have to physically learn to ride, that is only done by practicing.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's worse is when someone who can't keep a steady speed is on point.....!

Best to ride with those who match your skills!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't forget that every new HD sold contributes to the financial well being of the moco and helps insure they will be around for at least another year.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarfinder
I rode for years and then took about a 5 year break. I decide to take the MSF course to get my chops back before riding again. I was the only person in the class with experience AND the only person who had NOT purchased a Harley at the time the class was in session. I thought "this is crazy" some of the people had no business riding , let alone a big , heavy Harley. CRAZY

the bold text in my quote scares me since I bet it wasn't a bunch of people that bought a little sportster to start on either

Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
Yeah, i recently went on a group test ride at an indian dealer near me and i'd say about half the riders didnt know how to handle the bikes. of course they were all decked out in fresh new harley attire. I could never see myself doing a big rally.
Indian test rides? I never even though of that. Now I'm going to have to find an Indian test ride day and ride 400+ miles each way to North Carolina to ride one.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of how long you have been riding than more of riding within your limits. I have only been riding for just over a year and at 41 I do regret not starting 20 years ago but life changes.

I damn well knew when I bought my FXDC that I needed to take it slow the entire first year at least. I wouldn't even ride 2-up with my wife until this year and we took many practice rides down slow deserted roads first.

Know your limits and don't try and act cool and you'll be fine.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

the beginner MSF courses around here have long waiting lists

The advanced rider course has a hard time finding enough people to make it worth the instructor's time.

That says something.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That says something.
Sure does. It says: the beginner MSF courses around here have long waiting lists. The advanced rider course has a hard time finding enough people to make it worth the instructor's time.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

what is says is that either people don't continue to ride, or those that do don't think that they have anything else to learn.

Quick Reply: No wonder motorcycle deaths are up.