General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second bike for Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, a lot people have a pretty low opinion of Barnett HD. They're pretty expensive as Harley dealers go. They sort of have a monopoly over a large area here. You have to go a long way to buy from someone else.
They have used bikes on their website.
Craigslist in Phoenix, AZ is a treasure trove of used Harleys, but that may be out of your way.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Sportster for under $6k, easy. Here's a wide glide needs love for $6800 or offer, bet you could get it for $6k. Was a 90th anniversary that someone butchered. Found this with a 1 minute search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NO-RE...t_34983wt_1094

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dual sport would probably work out best for you, I dunno the area you are in, but if you want to do any touring you have to consider the locations that have petrol stations, and my thinking is a dual sport would give you more range.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be plenty of choices at Barnett's they are real big. I just don't trust those Mexican drivers, be careful down there

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With a $6,000 budget you should be able to get a nice, clean Dyna--better for a big guy, like yourself. Avoid the dealers, though, and find a private party, to save $1,000's. Look on craigslist for the various Texas cities. You can have a local dealer do a pre-purchase inspection.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should hit up mimo hes in the harley loop in mexico, mexico is like anywhere else in the world if your in some shady **** expect shady **** to happen.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Tim...stay safe down there...my guess is Torreon isn't too bad since it's away from the borders. Mexico has a plenty great people...family oriented. As I know you know...most Mexicans aren't murderous drug-dealers. Most are just trying to carve out a life for their families and are just as frightened of the bad guys as we are. The problems created by the drug cartels are creating a horrible, horrible situation for the many innocents to say the least.

Are there any Dealers in Harlingen/Raymondville/Weslaco? You might be better off avoiding the Juarez border and El Paso/Barnett's and going to a different border town to look for a bike.

My family used to have a place in Harlingen and we went to Matamoros all the time...I hear it's muy dangerous now, like most border towns, and few if any tourists go there anymore...too bad. Of course, I suspect you've been duly warned of all the dangers and have heard countless horror stories of Mexico...you don't strike me as one who worries about that too much though!

I know you're set on a HD, but I concur with some of the other guys...that you might be better off on a larger bike and for the cost, a metric...better yet, a dual purpose. From what I know, the roads in Mexico aren't exactly top notch and many are not paved. The Kaw KLR650 is a fantastic option like the other poster suggested. Depending on the tires, it isn't a bad bike for touring/long distance.

You're a big guy and I have a feeling you won't be happy on a Sporty. My HD Salesman said his first H-D was a Sporty (b4 he worked for them)...he's probably 6'4". Said he quickly figured out it was too small for him...besides that, he caught an image of himself in a mirrored window one day and said he looked like an idoit...sold it pronto for a bigger bike!

Not really sure the H-D's get stolen with any more regularity than any other bike down there...I have a feeling all bikes are targets. Of course, I've been known to be wrong a time or 2 before.

Last edited by monstead; 08-10-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with a Japanese bike at a price point you will not cry over when, not if, it is stolen. A junker is you best bet.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,999 Likes on 17,504 Posts

Pretty much anything the gringo has is going to be a target , don't know what advice to give brother except watch your back and good luck .

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Hey Tim...stay safe down there...my guess is Torreon isn't too bad since it's away from the borders. Mexico has a plenty great people...family oriented. As I know you know...most Mexicans aren't murderous drug-dealers. Most are just trying to carve out a life for their families and are just as frightened of the bad guys as we are. The problems created by the drug cartels are creating a horrible, horrible situation for the many innocents to say the least.

Are there any Dealers in Harlingen/Raymondville/Weslaco? You might be better off avoiding the Juarez border and El Paso/Barnett's and going to a different border town to look for a bike.

My family used to have a place in Harlingen and we went to Matamoros all the time...I hear it's muy dangerous now, like most border towns, and few if any tourists go there anymore...too bad. Of course, I suspect you've been duly warned of all the dangers and have heard countless horror stories of Mexico...you don't strike me as one who worries about that too much though!

I know you're set on a HD, but I concur with some of the other guys...that you might be better off on a larger bike and for the cost, a metric...better yet, a dual purpose. From what I know, the roads in Mexico aren't exactly top notch and many are not paved. The Kaw KLR650 is a fantastic option like the other poster suggested. Depending on the tires, it isn't a bad bike for touring/long distance.

You're a big guy and I have a feeling you won't be happy on a Sporty. My HD Salesman said his first H-D was a Sporty (b4 he worked for them)...he's probably 6'4". Said he quickly figured out it was too small for him...besides that, he caught an image of himself in a mirrored window one day and said he looked like an idoit...sold it pronto for a bigger bike!

Not really sure the H-D's get stolen with any more regularity than any other bike down there...I have a feeling all bikes are targets. Of course, I've been known to be wrong a time or 2 before.
Hate to argue, but El Paso happens to be the second safest city in the US! Pick up a bike at Barnett's and then take a beautiful drive along the Texas border and cross in at Laredo, to get you to Torreon.

Quick Reply: Second bike for Mexico