Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Who makes the best quality Speed Bleeders? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/676040-who-makes-the-best-quality-speed-bleeders.html)

BBStacker 08-12-2011 11:28 PM

I think it's a toss up between the mechanics with NHRA & NASCAR.

galtjunk 08-15-2011 07:25 AM

Auto Zone carries another brand that will fit your bike. Just figure out what thread size you need.

8541hog 08-15-2011 08:52 AM

Don't waste your money on speedbleeders, and yes I have used them, get yourself a vacuum pump, much faster and easier than speedbleeders.
Takes all of 5 minutes or less to flush a system completely with a vacuum pump, you can't do that with speedbleeders. Plus it is much cleaner.

hoethree 08-15-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 8541hog (Post 8697687)
Don't waste your money on speedbleeders, and yes I have used them, get yourself a vacuum pump, much faster and easier than speedbleeders.
Takes all of 5 minutes or less to flush a system completely with a vacuum pump, you can't do that with speedbleeders. Plus it is much cleaner.

Do you have a particular one that you recommend?:icon_tinykitball:

8541hog 08-15-2011 10:13 AM

The white plastic one from Harbor Freight works like a champ. Mityvac

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c.../image_673.jpg

Talldog 08-15-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 8541hog (Post 8697687)

A Mity Vac works great if you're changing a line or really need to open up the System. I used one recently on my Handlebar swap.

But, for just flushing existing lines, I don't think you can beat Speed Bleeders.

8541hog 08-15-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Talldog (Post 8698060)
A Mity Vac works great if you're changing a line or really need to open up the System. I used one recently on my Handlebar swap.

But, for just flushing existing lines, I don't think you can beat Speed Bleeders.

For flushing the speedbleeders are not even close to a vacuum for speed and ease.

Morris9982 08-15-2011 01:56 PM

I wish someone would post a video of the proper use of a vacuum brake bleeder.

I know a lot of people use them and are happy with their performance. I have purchased several over the years including one that looked a lot like the one in the picture above.

Every time I've tried to use one, they end up pulling air from around the base of the loosened bleeder valve instead of fluid. I've tried different tips and other things without success.

I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong. That's why I went to Speed Bleeders as they work as described and I have had no problems with them.

Talldog 08-15-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Morris9982 (Post 8698742)

I know a lot of people use them and are happy with their performance. I have purchased several over the years including one that looked a lot like the one in the picture above.

Every time I've tried to use one, they end up pulling air from around the base of the loosened bleeder valve instead of fluid. I've tried different tips and other things without success.

I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong. That's why I went to Speed Bleeders as they work as described and I have had no problems with them.

Morris,

When you use a Mity Vac, it's normal to pull a little air from around the Bleeder Screw, but as long as you don't open the Screw until there is a vacuum on the line, it won't hurt anything.

You can tell when you're pulling air out of the lines, or just the little tiny bubbles from around the screw, it just takes a little practice.

8541hog 08-15-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Morris9982 (Post 8698742)

If you are not pulling ANY fluid from the bleeder valve with it actually open and are pulling air from around the valve, you have a bad valve, it's simply not possible to not pull fluid if there is fluid in the caliper and the valve is open with vacuum on the line.