General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best quality Speed Bleeders?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a toss up between the mechanics with NHRA & NASCAR.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

Auto Zone carries another brand that will fit your bike. Just figure out what thread size you need.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't waste your money on speedbleeders, and yes I have used them, get yourself a vacuum pump, much faster and easier than speedbleeders.
Takes all of 5 minutes or less to flush a system completely with a vacuum pump, you can't do that with speedbleeders. Plus it is much cleaner.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Don't waste your money on speedbleeders, and yes I have used them, get yourself a vacuum pump, much faster and easier than speedbleeders.
Takes all of 5 minutes or less to flush a system completely with a vacuum pump, you can't do that with speedbleeders. Plus it is much cleaner.
Do you have a particular one that you recommend?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

The white plastic one from Harbor Freight works like a champ. Mityvac

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
A Mity Vac works great if you're changing a line or really need to open up the System. I used one recently on my Handlebar swap.

But, for just flushing existing lines, I don't think you can beat Speed Bleeders.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Talldog
A Mity Vac works great if you're changing a line or really need to open up the System. I used one recently on my Handlebar swap.

But, for just flushing existing lines, I don't think you can beat Speed Bleeders.
For flushing the speedbleeders are not even close to a vacuum for speed and ease.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish someone would post a video of the proper use of a vacuum brake bleeder.

I know a lot of people use them and are happy with their performance. I have purchased several over the years including one that looked a lot like the one in the picture above.

Every time I've tried to use one, they end up pulling air from around the base of the loosened bleeder valve instead of fluid. I've tried different tips and other things without success.

I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong. That's why I went to Speed Bleeders as they work as described and I have had no problems with them.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982

I know a lot of people use them and are happy with their performance. I have purchased several over the years including one that looked a lot like the one in the picture above.

Every time I've tried to use one, they end up pulling air from around the base of the loosened bleeder valve instead of fluid. I've tried different tips and other things without success.

I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong. That's why I went to Speed Bleeders as they work as described and I have had no problems with them.
Morris,

When you use a Mity Vac, it's normal to pull a little air from around the Bleeder Screw, but as long as you don't open the Screw until there is a vacuum on the line, it won't hurt anything.

You can tell when you're pulling air out of the lines, or just the little tiny bubbles from around the screw, it just takes a little practice.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Morris9982

If you are not pulling ANY fluid from the bleeder valve with it actually open and are pulling air from around the valve, you have a bad valve, it's simply not possible to not pull fluid if there is fluid in the caliper and the valve is open with vacuum on the line.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best quality Speed Bleeders?