General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Items stolen off bike, and Insurance won't cover it

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
Leaving you gear unsecured out in the open is putting way too much faith in the honesty of your fellow man. Do you think the aura surrounding your bike will protect you?
Funny that even after more then 30 years as a cop I still have a great deal of faith in my fellow man, could be stupid, I like to think it's optimism.

We were traveling cross country, had a ton of stuff strapped to the bikes, guess I could of moved in while having dinner.....

I will most likely just take the loss. I actually just had a claim against my home owners insurance right before we left as a result of some storm damage, I am sure that if I hit them with another claim right away it will cost me more then I recover........insurance is the second biggest scam, falls right behind taxes.

I will check into an addition to my policy to cover theft off my bike and seeing what it would cost. Not going to lose any sleep over it, as I said, it was a great trip, with this being the only bump, comparitively it was minor.........................the "Aura" around our bikes protected what was most important, us, home safe after a great trip.......for that I am always grateful.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks that you lost some stuff. Sucks more that someone would actually steal stuff in the open like that.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is very standard. Personal Property is covered under your homeowners policy not your vehicle policy. It would be the same thing if it were stolen from your car. If it is valued over your deductible then you should file it with your homeowners or renters policy. If you don't have a homeonwers or renters policy....well then you are SOL!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to watch home insurance as well. Big and little print. Mine would cover boats,jet skis trailers but wouldn't cover my dirtbike if it was stolen out lf my garage

Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by desertrideryz
You have to watch home insurance as well. Big and little print. Mine would cover boats,jet skis trailers but wouldn't cover my dirtbike if it was stolen out lf my garage
Same up here, if the bike is stolen/destroyed in a fire in my garage then the bike insurance has to cover it. Anything stolen from the bike is covered by home insurance. Talk about a pain in the a$$. Did I mention my bike insurance is $1500+ !! I hate Manitoba

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of us have a deductible on our insurance policies that would eat up most of the money you may receive for such a small claim.
In this case I think this is the key bit of info. Unless you had two premium quality full face helmets I'd guess you would be below your deductible amount even if it's only $500.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:36 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
Your deductible will probably be higher than the value of the items stolen. Make sure before you file a claim with any insurance because all claims affect your future rates.

+1, check on the replacement cost first. It might not be worth the claim. And if you file another claim in 3 yrs. they'll drop you or put you in a high risk pool. Also if they drop you, no-one will pick you up.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're insured with AAA, I can help.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I haven't read all the responses so I may be repeating. My experience is that your home owners policy will cover items stolen from your vehicle. Do some checking on how to report it to them. Ahem.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought my wife a gel pad, the seat really hurt her tailbone. First day all was well she really liked it. We stopped for lunch, came out and it was gone. Lesson learned, dont trust any one or leave anything worth more that .50 cents exposed. Now we take it in the restaurant with us, so that wont happen again.

Quick Reply: Items stolen off bike, and Insurance won't cover it