General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UVC Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

If it was for a scheduled service then to me it would be okay. But the time to stop and ask is right before you sign.

You say " I don't accept this fee. I will purchase the bike if you remove it or I will leave." Guess what would have happened if you said that and did that?

You would be the owner of the bike now and with out the bogus fee.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Originally Posted by nightroddersp
the stealerships are very very sneaky, do not under estimate the sneakyness... sounds like crap to me, this is where the HD reputation begins and then people turn to honda, suzuki and or a kawi...
No,people don't usually turn to rice when they're disgusted with the MoCo. They do like I have done--they turn to buying used Harleys. Only car buyers will turn to other manufacterers. Riders stay with the Big Iron.

I would tell them to crudpipe the bike & walk out. Back in '94, I bought a new Saturn. Told the dealer to gimme the MSO & paperwork,and I would get my own plates. They told me by law they have to do it for me,so I called Motor Vehicle right there at the salesman's desk. They told me there was no such law. I wasn't gonna pay $65 for them to stand in line at DMV,so I threatened to walk,and finally became the only person in history to get a new Satrurn below MSRP. That was in NY. In Florida, they have to by law get your tag for you, so they can only charge you for the cost of the tag;getting it is free.

As far as I'm concerned, the only legit fees on a used bike should be tag & title. Inspecting the bike prior to taking in on trade should be part of the cost of doing business. From what I've heard,even prep & freight on a new vehicle are not legit charges. What next--advertising charges & such?

Personally--I would NEVER buy used from a dealer. Never have, either.

Last edited by dickey; 08-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old:

Unsuspecting
Vulnerable
Customer

Fee...

When someone pulls **** like this on me I usually counter back with "That's amazing, I just can't believe that the UVC (or whatever) is $485.34!" "That's exactly the amount of the DYWAS (I pronounce it like a word) fee I charge when buying a motorcycle / car / anything." "Let's just cross that off and call it even."

Do
You
Want
A
Sale?

Usually they are so knocked off kilter that it works, and if I have to spell out the fee, it usually works, and if it doesn't I leave because obviously they didn't want a sale.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,971 Likes on 17,494 Posts

Originally Posted by dcgray2
The old:

Unsuspecting
Vulnerable
Customer

Fee...

When someone pulls **** like this on me I usually counter back with "That's amazing, I just can't believe that the UVC (or whatever) is $485.34!" "That's exactly the amount of the DYWAS (I pronounce it like a word) fee I charge when buying a motorcycle / car / anything." "Let's just cross that off and call it even."

Do
You
Want
A
Sale?

Usually they are so knocked off kilter that it works, and if I have to spell out the fee, it usually works, and if it doesn't I leave because obviously they didn't want a sale.
LOL sounds like my 15% DHSC fee I would slap on invoices when Asian or eastern Indians would start screaming about discounts and too much after they had already agreed to the contract price for a job . I'd discount the labor but then add the stuff separately I usually clumped in the first figure . I got my money one way or the other .

Dick
Head
Sur
Charge

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Pezzy
Intermediate

Wow! Just thought I'd take s stop here back at the forums.....and I didn't think I'd get this many responses! Very cool.

And, I believe everyone who responded in this thread seems to be saying that this UVC fee is a bunch of crap.

ftanner: You ask which dealer? I take it you saw that I put that I'm in Arizona? You too? Arizona's a pretty big state....lots of dealers. I almost wish you would have said first which dealer you think it is....and then wouldn't that have been the kicker if it matched the dealer that I did indeed go to.

Anyway.....it's Arrowhead Harley in Peoria, AZ.

I'm heading back to the dealer on Friday to state my case (calmly, if I can ). They don't allow test rides at this dealership, and I was told that if I discover that the bike's not for me, then I can bring it back, contract torn up & shredded, no questions asked, no further obligations. I have a 15 day period to do this.

Let's hope I make some positive progress and have success.
Pez

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

NO TEST RIDES?? I'd DEFINITELY tell them what they could do with their bike. I test rode even the NEW bikes I bought. Just 'cause it's new doesn't mean there ain't a problem. Sounds to me like they're trying to "no Vaseline" you to death. I'd walk.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 AM
dcgray2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pezzy
Wow! Just thought I'd take s stop here back at the forums.....and I didn't think I'd get this many responses! Very cool.

And, I believe everyone who responded in this thread seems to be saying that this UVC fee is a bunch of crap.

ftanner: You ask which dealer? I take it you saw that I put that I'm in Arizona? You too? Arizona's a pretty big state....lots of dealers. I almost wish you would have said first which dealer you think it is....and then wouldn't that have been the kicker if it matched the dealer that I did indeed go to.

Anyway.....it's Arrowhead Harley in Peoria, AZ.

I'm heading back to the dealer on Friday to state my case (calmly, if I can ). They don't allow test rides at this dealership, and I was told that if I discover that the bike's not for me, then I can bring it back, contract torn up & shredded, no questions asked, no further obligations. I have a 15 day period to do this.

Let's hope I make some positive progress and have success.
Pez
I'm not too hopeful for you, but wish you luck. If they take the bike back they have a used bike and no sale. If they tell you to go pound sand, they still have the sale.

Be prepared for the "oh, the guys on the internet said that..." They will probably try to make you feel stupid. Another tactic.

Of course if it's in writing then that's a different story.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
dcgray2
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
LOL sounds like my 15% DHSC fee I would slap on invoices when Asian or eastern Indians would start screaming about discounts and too much after they had already agreed to the contract price for a job . I'd discount the labor but then add the stuff separately I usually clumped in the first figure . I got my money one way or the other .

Dick
Head
Sur
Charge
Well played sir, well played.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,327 Likes on 2,168 Posts

i always deal with a OTD price (out the door ).....that way they can add any fee's or bs charges they want....doesnt matter to me....gets you around all that crap they try to pull........for example ( for you first timers )....tell them..sure i'll give ya MSRP....if its OTD.....

Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Pezzy
Intermediate

I'm back.

Bad news.

More or less, they told me to go pound sand.

In this message thread, I mentioned something the sales manager said to me at this dealership here in AZ, he said that I had a 15 day period to try the bike out, and that if I discovered it wasn't for me, then I could return it, shred the paperwork, no questions asked.

When I went in for a face-to-face visit yesterday, I told him I was having some second-thoughts, some doubt. And, I asked if it mattered what the reason was, whether it would have any bearing on the outcome of my situation; he said no.

I said it wasn't the bike itself; bike is fine.
It's that extra UVC "fee".

And that if they can't somehow readjust my bill, then I would like to invoke that 15 day trial period.

Then he tells me.........he never quite said that.

He "claims" that the 15 day thing is this guarantee they have that within 15 days or 500 miles (whichever comes first), if the bike fails or breaks down, I can bring it back.

I told him that he said to me that in 15 days or 500 miles, I was told that I could return it, shred the paperwork.....no questions asked.

I even remember remarking out-loud when he originally told me this when the bill of sale was drawn up, that I probably would not need 500 miles to decide, but that 15 days was sufficient.

He tells me what he said was.....I have 15 miles to do what they term an "acceptance ride" to discover whether the bike is for me (since they don't allow test rides there).

My wife was with me when we were there the other week drawing up the paperwork, and I asked her what she remembered him saying; my wife said, "15 days"......not miles.

The "15 day / 500 mile" thing is in the written contract/ paperwork.

They freely admit that the 15 mile "acceptance ride" is not in the paperwork. They say they only do that as a nicety or courtesy for the customers since they don't allow test rides there.

15 days? 15 miles? Gee, what a coincidence that they both have the number 15!! Think they do this deliberately?!

And back when we were originally filling out the paperwork and I remarked out-loud that I wouldn't need 500 miles and that 15 days would be sufficient before deciding that the bike was for me......well, then why didn't he correct me on this if I "misheard" him? I don't whisper nor do I mumble when I talk; if anything, my wife tells me I'm too loud.

All's I wanted was to get some credit back to my finances because of this "faux" UVC fee.

I even tried to invoke a little sympathy or camaraderie by telling them that this was my very first Harley Davidson after many years of driving Japanese bikes, and that this was starting to sour my experience.

My wife and I are no slouches financially-speaking. They ran a credit check on us and (bragging rights) we've got credit scores of 820 and 850; we're solid, financially sound consumers.

The bike is a fine machine.

This dealership is lacking something....

The sales manager had also brought in the dealer's general manager during this talk, and if anything, he made the situation worse. At one point, he starts telling me a story when he made some financially-poor decision that cost him. Like I give a crap? He's getting my money, not the other way around. He's the general manager for crap's sake; he can't be hurting too much.

I know. I signed on the dotted line. But they knew as well as I did that I am not the first customer in the world to experience some buyer's remorse.

You'd think they'd want to try and work with me somehow given that I am a first-time customer with them, and, my first Harley to boot.

I made it clear as I left that they have lost me as a customer.

I will not return to do any business with them
- no future bikes
- no clothing
- no accessories
- no parts
- no customizations
- no mechanical service on my bike

There was potentially a lot more money to be made from me in future purchases.

Not now.

Jeez.....I went on and ranted a bit here.

Think I should have just posted this in the sub-forum of "BAD Dealers and Experiences"?
Pez

Quick Reply: UVC Fee?