General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bad Sturgis experiance

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

The rally has turned into a money eating vendor gouging ***** fest - no need to even think about making the trip in Aug...better riding, pricing & scenery in fall, or spring...JMO.

Sorry to hear your trip sucked...OP.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

It's too bad - - my friends and I went for the first time this year and had a blast. First day we didn't know how the parking thing worked so we paid $5 each to park in a yard 1 block off main street (and received a "complimentary" bottle of cold water); next time we got there before 10 AM and found some parking on main street in the middle of the street. Third and final time we were just going to cruise once on main street and there were suddenly 4 spots together right in the middle of town, so we parked there and literally right in front of us there was freakin' R. Lee Ermey (of Mail Call and Full Metal Jacket fame) shooting a documentary for TruTV.

In short, we had an awesome, memorable time - - wish everyone else did too!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Rammer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
waaaah! hate it for ya but ya need to grow up and realize the world is what it is.
REALLY!!!!!! waaaah? I think I am grown up enough and that's why people do that **** cause people like you say "well that's the way the world is" instead of bitching and standing up and saying this is bullshit. If me venting on here makes me not grown up so be it but I am not taking it lying down ,I am pursuing the issue. I may not get anywhere but atleast I can say I tried

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
waaaah! hate it for ya but ya need to grow up and realize the world is what it is.
That seems a little harsh.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It will change when people quit coming.

Human beings are evil and no good by nature. It takes WORK to be kind and decent.

~Joe

Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Two of my sons and I have been to Sturgis 9 times each. No problems ever. I park down town every night. I have always found a proper parking spot.

I do not have anything on the bike when I go down town. I leave that at the campgrounds. I feel that security is my responsibility and take actions to reduce the likelihood that I will be a victim.

I pay $23/night for a camping spot which has good showers, Bar and Grill, light entertainment, a wash bay to clean your bike no charge and coin operated laundry

Some times one needs to look in the mirror for just who may have contributed to the problem.

I have found several inexpensive restaurants and avoid the down town high dollar food. Always go to lunch at Crazy Horse for the all you can eat Indian Tacos. Won't name one place in Sturgis proper that has great food all you can eat drink included for $11. Never many people there at all.

Don't do the bars. Just ride every day to all the great riding opportunities that the Black Hills provides. Get in 200 + miles each day.

Have great memories of the past times and will look forward to as many more years going their.

My daily expenses for the seven day trip stays under $600 total. The value of the experience = priceless.

For those that believe that it is too commercial, too crowded and too expensive. Stay away as that makes it better for me.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-23-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 AM
jayray
Tourer

5 bux is cheap parking. Pay it! It is Sturgis for crying out loud...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jayray
5 bux is cheap parking. Pay it! It is Sturgis for crying out loud...

As previous posters said:
There is no reason to pay for parking in Sturgis. You can always find a spot to park for free. Usually on Main or down the hill close to everything.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for this years luck, but that usually only happens to people new to the rally, your an old timer. The stealing sucks but the price you pay if caught is really steep ( azz kicked, jail, azz kicked).

Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The folks at Sturgis are doing their best to kill a good thing.

GREED. 8 bucks for a gyro sandwich?? $9.50 for a taco salad??

I'd like to seee the damn thing die, if for no other reason that to see these crooks get their come uppance.

If enough people quit going to the rally, then things will change.

~Joe

Quick Reply: First bad Sturgis experiance