General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Righting a tipped over bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the "sit on the curb by the bike and cry like a little girl about your scratched chrome til someone else comes along and picks it up for you" method. Works for me.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
lewintennessee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
almost right anyway. shut the engine down, put the bike in gear. then do your squat move, but put your *** onto the seat, then use your legs for leverage. better for your back, plus your legs are stronger anyway.
+1 butt and legs there is a video of a guy picking up a goldwing and he makes it look easy. the only thing worse than it falling over is wrecking your back trying to pick it back up the wrong way.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyna rider
My bike has been down a couple of times and I have always found the adrenalin rush was more than adequate to put it back upright.
One day after riding the "Dragon" and stopping at the overlook to B.S., an Ultra Classic fell over because of uneven ground. It took three of us to lift it upright.
Yup. I dropped mine at a light at a busy intersection. I was so embarrassed that I grabbed the handle bars and heaved it up like it was a bicycle. I am only 5' 11", 165lbs but the adrenaline kicked in pretty quick!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I dropped mine at a busy intersection also. Really wasn't that hard to lift it back up. Use your legs.

However, it would have been a whole lot better if I had extended the kickstand first before lifting it.

What a pita it was trying to balance the bike upright and swing a leg over it at the same time

Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMojo
Yup. I dropped mine at a light at a busy intersection. I was so embarrassed that I grabbed the handle bars and heaved it up like it was a bicycle. I am only 5' 11", 165lbs but the adrenaline kicked in pretty quick!
It always amazes me how fast I can pick the bike up then look around to see if anyone saw me.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pick that bitch up, that being said if you're not 6'2" 250lbs the squat method works well.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I used to be able to pick up my Harleys without much of a problem but I recently dropped my FLHRS in the mud at the Yukon river crossing returning from the Arctic circle and either because I was too exhausted from a trying ride in the mud or because I am now too old and weak, I eventually got help from a stronger, younger oil company worker and it came right up. I do have a photo of it on it's side but I don't know how to attach it here.

By the way, I tried the squat and lift to no avail.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

I just pick the f*cker up , 57 and a full boat is still no problem . If you can't lift it it's time to get off it it will hurt sooner or later .

In your defense TX in your case fighting the cold & wet all day can make a strong man weak , been there bro .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-31-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when I was 9 year old, my father had a 1973 CB350 that he had in the garage, the deal was he would tip it over, and if I could pick it up I could ride it. I muscled that old girl to her feet and rode that thing in as many ditch and down as many gravel roads as I could, on my tip toes at every stop hahaha.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i always grab the handle bars and lift..i know my ***** might fall off some day, but im kind of stubborn

Quick Reply: Righting a tipped over bike