General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 2/200 ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Not rare or collectable, just a factory numbered paint set. Doesn't really add to the value. Nice looking scoot if the price was right.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Sharp looking Sporty! Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it sitting around, any minor issues would be nothing a decent mechanic couldn't fix. Tkorn mentioned bad valve seals on '05's, which, as I remember, was a problem on the TC88, not the Sporties.

The real issue is this...are you sure you want a Sportie for your wife? Mine wouldn't listen to me, insisted on a Sportster. A year later she traded for a Heritage and is MUCH happier.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
tkorn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sporster has the same seals and problem.

http://www.*****************/forums/bi...available.html

Blue book is 4,045 trade in, 5,565 retail. The paint and low miles will not affect the price. See what a dealer will give on trade for that bike.

If I'm buying from a private seller, I am not paying retail.

I just did a quick search, and it appears the average "asking" price is 5,800.

VTF Site Sponsor

Twin Cam Valve Seals Now Available
As seen in this thread .. http://www.*****************/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77356

We are offering them as an alternative to stock Harley seals.

Fits 05-present Twin Cam, 04-present Sportster

$15.00 for a set of 4 and that INCLUDES shipping (continental US).

Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Roysride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your imput and advice. It is a cool looking bike but i agree its not worth the "buy it now" price to me! After all its a 6 plus year old bike with a fancy but cool looking paint job and appears very clean as it should be but im still concerned about the internal part. Here is the message the seller emailed me.....I took it around for a test spin around the block before listing it and encountered no issues; Tires have not been replaced (however they are perfect). Oil change is anyone's guess... but I don't believe its ever had one as the bike was meant to be pretty much for show only.

The bike is hooked up to a trickle charger however, if you do not keep it hooked up, the battery will die. I guess its a trade-off of having low miles...if you can see the tag still has its registration sticker from 05 on it. Bike was meant for show and definitely did sit for a while... but I assure you from top to bottom you're looking at an authentic and original piece.

Ok that being said i wouldnt ride the bike before i replaced the tires at the very least. So im going to contact him by phone in the next day or so and kinda feel him out as i have a feeling he may be just the executer to the estate and maybe go take a ride to check it out in person. If it is as nice as it appears i will make a cash offer but not 7k.

To stro1965: i said the same thing to my wife she wont listen either what cha gonna do right? She doesnt like riding the Dyna says its too top heavy and makes her nervous but she loves being the passenger.

Sry for the long post guys and gals but im looking for an early B-day present for her she has no clue. She is set on a black sportster so maybe this isnt meant to be we will see.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the paint

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Roysride
To stro1965: i said the same thing to my wife she wont listen either what cha gonna do right? She doesnt like riding the Dyna says its too top heavy and makes her nervous but she loves being the passenger.
The sporty is gonna be top heavy too. Softail sits lower.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing to consider (to let you rest assured that you made a good call).
If you get an ultra low mile bike, you can do one of two things with it.
1. Never ride it. What fun is that?
2. Ride it. Enjoy it. And soon the very thing that made the bike really special is all gone.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,218 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Roysride
if she thought the dyna was too top heavy, just wait till she tries the sporty! like mentioned, the softail (esp the deluxe) has the lowest cg around.

sporties are hard bikes to learn on. can it be done? of course. but there are lots of people who have tried to learn on a sporty, got frustrated, and gave up. or, got frustrated, and tried a different bike, and had smooth sailing afterward.

edit: looks like this one sold for $6750