General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epic road trip that I'm planning

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 AM
thornwithin22
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic road trip that I'm planning

Ok, so, I live in Australia and I've been riding since I was 16. I've almost finished my master of theological studies and practical ministry. I've been planning to have a year off with a friend of mine once I'd finished ever since I was 13 (I'm 27 now.) My plan is that I fly to LA, buy a Harley then drive up the coast through Oregon and Washington, over the Canadian border and up to Alaska.

Then I come back down and visit Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal and finishing in Vancouver.

After visting Canada, I then drive down to Nevada and zig-zag across the entire country visting every state, interesting sights and different cities and finishing in Miami, Florida.

I then drive along the gulf of mexico and enter Mexico via Reynosa.

After making my way through central America and North South America I then drive straight to Rio.

After exploring Rio I then drive across Brazil, enter Peru, vist Machu Picchu, drive to Lima sell the bikes and buy two plane tickets to Hawaii where we chill for a two weeks or so.

And we're doing this all on a Harley Davidson.

The question is: What sort of bike should I get?

I need it to be equip for super long distances, comfort, cargo holding, reliability (I don't want it breaking down in the middle of mexico!), a loud motor and I still want it to have that Harley Davidson edge to it.

Can anyone suggest a bike?

Also, some good roads. Those are importent.

Wish me luck on my ride!

-Jamie

Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds epic alright! There really is pretty much only one bike to choose, that would be the Ultra Classic. That or the Limited. As far as roads to choose, I would suggest for a more memorable ride to stay off the Interstate highways as much as possible. As far as the route, look up the 2011 Hoka Hey race that covered 48 States and finished in Nova Scotia. That would be a nice route to complete.

Keep us posted and post pics.
Good luck!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Very cool plan.

When I was living in Peru, South America I met a Canadian who had bicycled from Canada, thru the USA, Mexico, Central America and down to Rio in Brazil. Took him two years.

Not sure what the roads are like now days thru Mexico, Central & South America.

Regarding which bike...I think I would set up a Sportster with some good suspension, comfortable seat, and some lockable bags.

Easier to work on on the road (and you will be working on it) than a tourer, and also easier to handle on bad/gravel/dirt/muddy roads.

You can set up a sportster, with a little work, to be a very comfortable long distance bike.

When are you planning on starting your trip?

Kevin

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-04-2011, 03:25 AM
thornwithin22
Stage III

[quote=DK Custom;8777277

When are you planning on starting your trip?

Kevin[/quote]

January next year.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a great trip and the Electra Glide sounds right also. I am not so sure about the Ultra or the Limited, all you would really want would be the tour pak on the back. The extra speakers, chrome etc may not really be necessary for a succesful trip. The lighter the better as far as I am concerned. Also I would really follow closely the goings on in Mexico, through consular breifing etc. it is really getting to be a no $hit war zone. And of course January is Winter in this neck of the woods, Canada and Alaska are under many feet of snow. Might start thinking about Canada and Alaska in June and July. The lower 48 south of Oklahoma, Arkansas, southern Arizona, southern New Mexico, California may be okay in January and February but much farther north and you are subject to some pretty cold and nasty weather.

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 09-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

If you're starting your trip in January, I would begin with the 2-week chill fest in Hawaii and work the plan backwards from there. Otherwise, you'll need some spiked tires, heated clothing from head to toe and lots of down-time in your plan for delays, due to snow and ice.

THAT or you'll be wanting a snowmobile for the first half of your trip.
HD used to make those, but good luck finding one in working condition, if at all.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 AM
martin14
Cruiser

Some pre-trip reading for you, they have done the world on an ElectraGlide...

Lists of the stuff he carries, problems they have had, really well written too.

Enjoy, bring lots of money !

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/

edit: or, if you are seriously insane, you can try your trip on a '62 hardtail Panhead.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

Last edited by martin14; 09-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 AM
RockerSE
Road Captain

I would stay out of central and south america!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I live in Canada, and not sure when you plan to start your trip, but I wouldn't enter into Canada or Alaska any sooner than Mid May. As far as roads from LA to Vancouver you have to take the #1 coming out of LA turns into the #101 it runs all the way up the coast and will probably be the most picturesk 1300 miles of your entire trip, as a road that follows the coast goes it has some great twists and turns, Ive only ever done a portion and it was in a cage, it's my dream to go back and ride from Vancouver all the way down to San Diego, then across to Las Vegas, and all the way up through Salt Lake City, and Yellowstone. Good luck man. Got me thinking I should be planning my epic journey, not quite as long as yours though hahaha. If you are coming through Saskatchewan make sure and let me know.

O and as far as the bike goes, pick up a 2007-2011 Dyna with or add soft bags, and you will be set, the 96ci motor will be more than enough.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Your questions are best answered on the website

advrider.com

People there make these type runs pretty regularly. You can speak to those that have already completed runs similar if not almost exactly what you are describing.

You can get help on equipment, routing, border crossings, etc. You may also find some that can help you along the way should you run into problems.

The one thing you will find is they will not recommend a Harley for the trip. I personally would not ride mine on the trip either. There are better bikes to take some of the gravel and mud roads you will find yourself on.

But if that is your dream, buy a Harley and go. Given your journey, I would suggest a smaller bike like a dyna running street and trail (enduro) tires on both front and back. Clearance and traction will be key items to address. There is a guy on there that just ran a sportster across the trail of bones in eastern Europe and northern Russia. His screen name is RTWDOUG. He also took a 62 hardtail chopper around the world in 2009 and a 48 Indian around the world in 2006. Take a look at his sportster for ideas.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-04-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Epic road trip that I'm planning