General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wyotech motorcycle program opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ihave noticed that not one wyotech grad has posted here. hmmm has anyone ever been to the school in daytona besides me?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronG87
I am very interested to know what people think about Wyotech. Since I am currently planning on going to the Daytona campus next year when my enlistment is up. I have looked at several threads about different schools on here and none of the are very recent or have much information pertaining to the actual school. I've heard good things and I've heard a few bad things too I guess that could go with any school though. I just want to know is it a worthwhile school to put my GI Bill into? I know the pay isn't great but, I'd rather do something I love than keep doing a job that I've lost my love for. All information is appreciated.
Aaron,

Your GI Bill is a fantastic benefit that you have earned. I would urge you to think long term career potential here, and not just about a short term class that would give you a skill set that would pay you close to minimum wage when you graduate. Then what?

Why not use that GI Bill to actually pursue a degree at a University? Getting paid to go to school is a luxury that many folks don't have out there in the working world. It's never going to be as easy as it is right now for you to get a college education and degree.

Be smart…think long term goals, think 10 years from now, not just what you want next summer. I'll guarantee you that you'll be happy that you did, when you're 40 years old. Good luck to you.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Aaron,

Your GI Bill is a fantastic benefit that you have earned. I would urge you to think long term career potential here, and not just about a short term class that would give you a skill set that would pay you close to minimum wage when you graduate. Then what?

Why not use that GI Bill to actually pursue a degree at a University? Getting paid to go to school is a luxury that many folks don't have out there in the working world. It's never going to be as easy as it is right now for you to get a college education and degree.

Be smart…think long term goals, think 10 years from now, not just what you want next summer. I'll guarantee you that you'll be happy that you did, when you're 40 years old. Good luck to you.
That's sound advice right there....

My buddy's son went to MMI. He ended up doing odd jobs fixing bikes out of his garage at home cuz the only jobs he could find didn't pay ****. He is a good kid too...not some loser idiot. Now he's in the Sheriff's academy.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I have taught at the College level and for three OEM's over the past 30 years. I am very familliar with the WYO-Tech, Corintian College, Lincoln Tech., MMI, UTI, etc. programs. These are commercial schools and they each use slightly different versions of a Formula or Cook Book type of training program. These formulas are actually rather effective in turning out the product that they advertise. Bear in mind that the good and the bad (at the same time) is that they are in this for a profit and your actual learning is only important in as much as it impacts the profitability of the company. If you are motivated, a Community College will give you a more well rounded education that you can build on in the future (such as a bachelors degree in business, engineering, education, etc.) should you choose to advance beyond a technician at some point in the future. That said, you will need to research each Community College program. Many Community Colleges use their trades programs as a means to collect funds. The state pays the college based on attendance, and these funds are the difference between what a community college charges in tuition and what it actually costs to run a program. Thus your fellow students may not be as motivated to actually learn the trade as you are. This can seriously impact how the Instructor(s) have to tailor their program. If they have to dumb it down to keep too many students from flunking the program that will be a problem for you. The high tuition that folks pay to attend commercial schools has quite an impact on the motivation of the student (duh!). Once the school has the money, if the student wants to party and hang out . . . they don't really care all that much beyond making sure they've crossed all their T's and dotted all their I's when the student eventually flunks out. On the other hand, full time Instructors at a Community College usually have a degree in Vocational Education or Engineering as well as the Hands-on experience that the Commercial Schools generally rely on to the exclusion of any formal education. Since the Commercial Schools are using a formula or Cook Book system; the person in front of the classroom is more of a "Presenter" as opposed to an "Instructor" and this can impact what you are exposed to. If your skills, abilities and/or interests go beyond the minimum needed to get an entry level job this may be important to you.
You could write the same response about most Universities and Colleges too. Once they have your tuition money they really don't care if you take advantage of the situation or not. If you flunk a course they just get more of your money because you have to repeat it to finish, otherwise, you drop out. My only comment about any of these private trade schools is that even though you come out with a good basis of mechanics and a brand or type of bike, you will still start at an entry level salary when you go to the dealership. However, if you successfully completed the training you'll be at the front of the line to be hired.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
masonc
Advanced

i am not a wyotech student but i am going through an hd program (took this semester off though) at ft scott community college in ks. when i get finished i will have an actual degree from this program. maybe the wyotech deal isn't very good but the one in ft scott is good. instructors have worked as techs in the dealerships for many years and know their stuff. to me it's worth it because it's something i have wanted to learn for a very long time & am now finally getting the chance to learn. 1st semester i tore down and rebuilt a 96" twin cam & also now know how to perform all of my services. there is more to learn too..frames & suspension, performance etc... you might want to look this one up since you are considering moving to daytona. haven't figured out about the whole job thing aftwards at this time as i haven't done my internship at a dealership to get a feel for it yet. but from what i have heard so far most dealerships are satisfied with the techs that are rollling out of this program.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Aaron,

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES!!!

This is very solid advice!! And as someone who's nearly 40 years old and never quite figured out what to do with his life, take it from me - you have a genuinely golden opportunity here.

I got given similar advice when was around your age. I really wish I'd pursued it harder when I had the chance. I'm not knocking a vocational career, far from it. But think l-o-n-g and hard about what to do with this one-time-only heavyweight educational firepower you now have.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Vince81
Banned

Originally Posted by AaronG87
I am very interested to know what people think about Wyotech. Since I am currently planning on going to the Daytona campus next year when my enlistment is up. I have looked at several threads about different schools on here and none of the are very recent or have much information pertaining to the actual school. I've heard good things and I've heard a few bad things too I guess that could go with any school though. I just want to know is it a worthwhile school to put my GI Bill into? I know the pay isn't great but, I'd rather do something I love than keep doing a job that I've lost my love for. All information is appreciated.
I'm a graduate of MMI Institute and I also graduated from S&S Performance's School in Wisconsin as a graduate course ,I also attended H-D Motor School in Wisconsin.Obviously I knew I wanted to work on American Bikes ONLY.
MMI prepared me for the intense "follow up" and in depth S&S cirriculum.
Also H-Ds school was a good school for traditional H-D V Twin preperation.
Before opening my own shop-I worked for a few H-D dealerships and decided to move onward & upward

I know a few people who attebnded Wyotech's program and were happy with the school and the basic foundation they offered in motorcycle mechanic education.
They said the school was a little "heavy" on japanese makes as opposed to V Twin American Iron,but the GI bill opportunitys to pay was excellent and the instructors were also good.
Personal choice aside,I'd say look into the programs they offer and see if you can "specialize" in the brand you want more than a general course instruction in all makes unless you want to work on all of them.

I wish you the BEST of luck and godspeed Home safely.Whatever you decide you'll be happy working in a field you love as opposed to 9 to 5 at a job you hate.

Vince

Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I graduated from AMI which was before Wyotech/Corinthian bought it.

I have worked in the industry since I graduated in 2000. I think it is like any other type of schooling, you will get out of it as much as you put in to it. You will not come out a master mechanic from any of the schools but if you put forth the effort it could get your foot in the door.

I am not getting rich but I make a decent living and can say that I do love my job. I wouldn't trade that for double the salary but being miserable at what I was doing.

I am now back down in the Daytona area so if you decide to enroll at Wyotech or just to come for a visit, let me know if you need anything. I can show you some good areas for housing as well.

Good Luck and Thank You for your service!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Wyotech grad (1999, Automotive program). I wouldn't do it again. It's too basic, I don't even think it got me the job, I would have had just as good a chance walking in off the street. 99% of what I know now, I learned in the field.

That being said, the instructors are very knowledgeable and do the best with curriculum they have to work with.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

One other thought. Do not get tunnel vision with respect to learning the mechanical parts of the trade. There are countless numbers of folks out there who can competently and accurately remove and replace parts; and frankly, right now, a lot of them are out there looking for work, and they're already ahead of you in a line and have the hands-on experience and the tools that you will be lacking. Even when they find work it can often be sporadic and involves changing employers on a fairly frequent basis.

My suggestion is that you focus on the electrical and the computer systems. Learn how they work and how to diagnose them . . . without the trouble codes . . . before learning how to use the trouble codes as just one part of your diagnosis process. On the automotive side; technicians that can do this make $70K and some significantly more. Technicians who can competently and accurately remove and replace parts make about $30K. The electrical part is an abstract concept and does not lend itself well as a subject to one who may be primarily interested in, and motivated by, spacial subjects (tearing things apart and putting them back together). But the electrical part is where the money and the job security is.

Lastly, a suggestion that dramatically (and luckily for me) affected my career choice about 30 years ago: Look in the shops that you know. Look at the numbers of people by age who are working in the shop. All things being equal, the age distribution should be about the same 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, etc. However, what you'll notice is that the folks twisting wrenches are disproportionally in the younger age groups . . . . think about it . . . . where do you suppose the older folks are going? They're not all in management, and there aren't enough independent shops around to account for this.