General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going down.....and not in a good way!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
VRodnWV
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Baer
Yes to the question, but No to laying down my current ride (2010 RK). In total I've gone down over 15 times that I can remember -- on asphalt. Probably more if I really think about it. The 15 times include 9 times when I road raced competitively over nine seasons. The slowest crash speed was 15mph, the highest was close to 90mph at ThunderHill Raceway. I've ridden over 200K miles on street motorcycles and have never been injured. Take it from me: Safety gear works! Do I think about crashing when I ride? Not really. Will it ever cause me to give up riding if I do? Never. And in regards to the damage crashing creates, it's nothing that a check won't fix.
What! Please don't tell me I can expect 14 or possibly more? Safety gear does work I had on a riding jacket not with armor and not a mark on me although the sore muscles are now setting in.
Oh and I know I'm not ever gonna give up riding...

Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
VRodnWV
Advanced

Originally Posted by Martimus
Yup! I've shared in your pain...

My most memorable (albeit minor) incident was pretty damn stupid on my part. I was cruising at low speed just east of my college. As I approved a stop light, I downshifted and applied my brakes. Well just as I did my rear tire hit a patch of oil that I hadn't seen. My rear wheel locked up and slid. I ended up laying the bike down and sliding into the crosswalk at the intersection.

As if the embarrassment of doing something like that wasn't bad enough... a local motorcycle cop was sitting right across the street when it happened. He motored on over and asked if I was OK. I only had minor road rash so he waited till I had gotten the bike off the street and then road away. I'd swear to you that he was laughing his azz off as he left!
Wow dude-bro glad you were not injured to bad. I know one thing Ill need to be pretty drunk to ever laugh at someone taking a spill, just not cool to laugh at some one going down.....probably good thing he carried a gun huh?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM
VRodnWV
Advanced

Originally Posted by aviator
not much of a minor spill?? ... he cracked a weld. sounds pretty major to me... BUT, I'm not a mechanic, so... maybe just a dab of J&B weld might fix it, huh?
Thanks for the thoughts as far as hitting the pavement, I know we have all seen worse I got real damn lucky with the cracked frame, ........Thank you Harley Gods they thought this out well, the part of the frame that broke isreplaceablee with four bolts and from the looks of it can be changed out in about a hour and $300 cash for parts....so I consider it a real cheap lesson.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On the dirt, more times than I could ever remember. On the street, once a block from my house, sand in the corner and it didn't like me using the front brake. Bent bars, dented tank and scratched helmet. Second time was when I forgot to unlock the steering and the bike just wanted to keep doing the u-turn I was making from the curb. Scratched grip but nothing else. It was my Honda Shadow and I think it deserved both of them. In 40 years of riding the street and 46 years in the dirt that's been it. Probably over 150,000 miles on the street so far.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
big_e_walrus
Advanced

I had a good day of riding with a friend and when i was parking in a restaurant lot, i dropped it at a stand still... As is always the case, the first scratch is always the hardest to take. The rest are easy.
It's a bike. I've had many before and will have more after this one.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Just be glad you and your woman are ok. A bike can easily be fixed you or her can't. My biggest fear when I use to ride 2up,was not hurting myself,but the OL.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM
alauhog
Advanced

Yes
2 Weeks after I bought my 2011 FatBoy Lo.
Live on a gravel road, Concrete driveway.
Comming off the driveway turning onto the road, Hit a thick patch of rocks, Front wheel started to slide, before I could straighten it out, front wheek catches traction, it was on it's way over, I bailed off. Live in the country, 10 am on a Tuesday nobody around. Wasn't going to be traped under the bike until somebody decided to come home to help get it off of me. I have money to repair the bike. but can't make the money if I can't work.

Last edited by alauhog; 09-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I laid one down was in the 60's. Believe it or not after two times I learned how not to do it. Once on the road and once on the dirt. Both times with a small bike as a kid. Dirt bikes and small street bikes I think helped teach me from pushing the limits as a kid with no fear.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM
VRodnWV
Advanced

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Just be glad you and your woman are ok. A bike can easily be fixed you or her can't. My biggest fear when I use to ride 2up,was not hurting myself,but the OL.
Thanks for the concern for her, I may have miss worded things, she was not a passenger, although I love her nessled up to me she could only stand two days as a passenger, shes was under her own power on her 883 Iron when it occured.

Last edited by VRodnWV; 09-19-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that her in your sig?!? If so, yes you are a lucky SOB!

But that's not proper riding attire. Daisy Dukes and a bikini top are...

Quick Reply: Going down.....and not in a good way!