Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   This has to be a craigslists scam (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/691411-this-has-to-be-a-craigslists-scam.html)

NorCalFBLO 09-24-2011 12:49 AM

love his English or lack of it....Scam for sure.

TennesseeMustangPerf 09-24-2011 01:32 AM

Simple callout. Email him back and tell him that you have a friend in the Great Falls area who is willing to check the bike out for you. He said it was in his back yard, so even if he is out of town you can come by and take a look, even if you cannot test ride. If he replies yes, then maybe it is legit. If he does not reply, or comes up with an excuse, then definite scam. But like I said before, I had seen this same exact pic on another scam thread and was proven to be a fraud. I would ask him what company he is with, too.

Then Came Bronson 09-24-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by scasey (Post 8854996)
if not and you live near this place and can go see the bike someone would be wise to buy but I doubt it is legit. 1st is the link to the bike that I saw here in the local craigslist in Jacksonville Florida.

100% scam.

This guy said he's in the Army? The only military base in Montana is Malmstrom Air Force Base. There aren't any Army units there that I know of.

Also, he says that the Army will ship the bike for him…bullshit. The military will only ship a vehicle in conjunction with a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) move. A deployment to Afghanistan is just that…not a PCS move.

I wouldn't give it another moment's thought.

dickey 09-24-2011 03:32 AM

I have seen that ad so many times with different bikes & similar wordings--guys always being deployed, and the bike is always crated & in some terminal waiting to be shipped out. I usually tell 'em I'm local & want to go see the bike,and that's the end of the emails after that!

pretz 09-24-2011 03:42 AM

straight up scam.

oppirs 09-24-2011 03:57 AM

go ahaed and play with this w/scammer. get info on fake bank acct. or checks. Never cash a bogas check.

White Ice 09-24-2011 06:14 AM

This is the first sign of a scam as well:

Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal using an authorized third party like eBay, using their Business Purchase Protection Program .The payment will be handled by eBay and you will benefit of the 5 day inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the bike on my expense.

CSP067 09-24-2011 06:22 AM

Exactly. You can't use ebay unless you sell through ebay. Sure sign of a scam, along with the others above. There is no army at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls. And where have you EVER seen anyone say, "I'll take care of the shipping"?

Nice try, but sadly someone will fall for it. It just won't be anyone here. :)

Broncs 09-24-2011 08:57 AM

I am in NO way saying this isn't a scam!!!

There is Army reserve and NG units from MT going to Afganistan all the time. The guys I know in the Army reserve do go to Great Falls all the time.

CSP067 09-24-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Broncs (Post 8856096)
I am in NO way saying this isn't a scam!!!

There is Army reserve and NG units from MT going to Afganistan all the time. The guys I know in the Army reserve do go to Great Falls all the time.

Ah, good point. I actually lived at Malmstrom once upon a time, but had forgotten about NG and Reserve units.