Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Made In China (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/693507-made-in-china.html)

Iron2640 09-30-2011 03:42 AM

I certainly agree with most of you talking about global economy etc...
At least you guys in the U.S.A. benefit from buying your Harley, parts, etc at a low cost.
I live in Greece, i want to buy an American product and i get Chinese!
The price?
2011 Street Bob: 17000 EUR = 23800 USD !!!

Anyway, i love my SB, ride safe!!! :)

AFONE 09-30-2011 05:21 AM

I'd like to see more stuff made in Mexico. Seems like it'd be a he'll of a lot cheaper to ship from Mexico plus if Mexicans have jobs in Mexico, they're not going to be coming to the US. Illegal immigration problem solved.....

markp66 09-30-2011 05:31 AM

I went to the Harley manufacturing plant in Kansas city a few years back and saw the Dynas being made. The boxes the unspoked rims were coming out of were definitely imported. Was a little surprised that they were making tanks right there but buying a simpler part. Wonder where them crappy Dunlops on my bike come from?

frenchbiker 09-30-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by streetpep (Post 8877027)
My cousin came from Italy for the first time in his life and wanted to buy some Harley apparel, so I bring him to the local dealership. He bought a nice button up shirt which was $60, a tee shirt and a money clip. When we got home he was looking at the tags and he noticed that everything was made in china. He was disappointed because He said Harley is a symbol of the USA and they don't even make there products here, that to me is f##ked up. He said if he noticed it he wouldn't even bought it because they charge so much for stuff even more in Europe and probably get it made for a fraction of the price and they are not even Americans making it. I don't know how stuff works but what do others think?

Ask your italian cousin where Gucci, Ferragamo, Prada, Benetton and other famous italian brands are manufactured.

2kids3pets 09-30-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Austin Dave (Post 8877196)
If I know something is made in china, I don't buy it.

Then how is it you can post on HDF...please tell us where you bought your USA made computer

Remember American Made doesn't always mean Made in the USA

Josewales 09-30-2011 07:20 AM

Pollution is also made in China.

World is full of $hit when we all pretend to care about the environment and human rights.

James Cameron get the f*ck out of my oilsands and head to China....and remember to stop off at a Walmart while you are at it.

Anyways...New World Order loves China, not much we can do about it. In the meantime our hogs suffer from it.

10ring 09-30-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Flippy02 (Post 8877258)
there is a company that now makes chopsticks in the US and sells to China

And yet this is so rare as to be noteworthy.

Very High Plain Drifter 09-30-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by frenchbiker (Post 8878325)
Ask your italian cousin where Gucci, Ferragamo, Prada, Benetton and other famous italian brands are manufactured.

Actually, I think the very high-end fashion stuff (not Bennetton, which is French) is actually made in Italy.

But whatever - it's not a problem unique to the US. Europe outsources a lot of stuff to the Workshop of the World as well.

I wonder whether stuff that should be made in the USA would actually be that much more expensive, without the shipping costs. How much of the decision to outsource comes from a desire for larger profits, rather than reduced cost to the end-user.

And one wonders if the Chinese workers take pride in their work? Do they believe that they are making the best widgets possible?

Ed Vanharley 09-30-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Austin Dave (Post 8877196)
If I know something is made in china, I don't buy it.

If your using a computer to post this I believe your using quite a few Chinese, Japanese, Taiwonise, Philipinese,Ect Products.
Get over it!:icon_screwy:

brenn 09-30-2011 09:46 AM

What??? harley's making motorclothes in China!!!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1280023454.jpg