General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
I was cleaning my bike and must of hit the shifter, for whatever reason, I bumped the starter and had a oh **** moment, good thing it didn't fire off.

I think most people have done this at least once, burns a "check the neutral light before going anywhere near the start button " sign in your mind.

Not trying to offend, but why were you cleaning it with the ignition switch on? Just asking a question.

oh and my 2012 has the safety. Can't start it if in gear unless I pull in the clutch.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrclark
This is probably a newbie question, but if I don't ask it I'll never know the answer.

I recently got my first HD (07 Road King) after coming from several metrics. That first day, I was showing it off to some friends and went to start it while standing next to it. It started and MOVED!! thank god for the jiffy stand or the bike surely would have gone down. How embrassing! New bike and the first day I (basically) drop it-almost.

Anyways, my question is, why doesn't HD have a neutral safety switch?? I was used to it on my Suzukis and seems to me to be a good idea.

Thanks, J
Just read the post again and now am wondering when it started how far did it move? Did you chase it down the block or what?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 AM
SniperDude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Learned at the basic riders course to start the bike with the clutch pulled in. I have always done it that way. I never trust the green neutral light.

Just once did I go to start the bike one night when I wasnt sitting on it without pulling in the clutch. That was my WTF was I thinking moment

Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

any bike i own that has any safety switches(kickstand or clutch) gets them by-passed.

no sir, i don't like them.

usually cause more problems then they're worth.

lack of them results in good habits - checking for neutral light, rolling bike, pulling in clutch, making sure kickstand is up before rolling, etc..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My '02 Heritage doesn't have a 'safety switch,' and if it did I would disable it.

Question: If a bike has one of those dumbmass switch's and the switch goes bad, does that prevent the bike from starting?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If the switch is disabled then the bike will only start in neutral.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 07 NRS has that safety feature...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
If the switch is disabled then the bike will only start in neutral.
LOL, there's a cure for that, too. Disable another switch.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
jrclark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Just read the post again and now am wondering when it started how far did it move? Did you chase it down the block or what?
that's funny...the movement startled me and I immediately released the starter button. It was a few months ago, but I recall the scrape along the pavement as six inches or so.

My experience with metrics are that they are designed to not start if in gear. I assumed HD had this feature as well.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
BSH13
Intermediate

My 2008 Roadster has a neutral indicator switch connected to the jiffy stand switch..problem is the neutral switch is currently broke, so it will only start with stand up and in neutral.. been riding bikes for years..I always depress the clutch on bikes ( and on cars too) when starting.. it was said to take some of the pressure off the starter motor as it spins the motor on old bikes etc. so saving battery power etc. possibly bollocks, but good practice and it does no harm..

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch