General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Knees - Gotta Leave Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Dustyf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mike5511, it sounds like your looking for an excuse to sell your bike. I have had 13 knee operations in the lasrt 30 years, 4 on the left and 9 on the right with the last one being a total knee replacement. I ride, I walk the golf course I and I do 4 miles daily on the treadmill.

At the risk of pissing you off, you do sound like a bit of wimp. My best friend had his first knee surgery and babied it by using crutches for a month for what I call a measly cartlidge removal. I had my knee replaced and within 6 weeks with a lot of hard work was riding my softail again and walking without an aid. As previously stated losing a little weight will do wonders for your knees, I have lost 25lbs in the last year by going to the gym and my knees really appreciate it.

Just remember, if you really want to ride there should nothing that holds you back, hell I have a friend who just lost his leg and still rides.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

DustyF

Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My right knee is pretty much worn. But still going.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too switched over to the FLSTCI because of bad knees (62 years of abuse) and I still have trouble, but do alot of planning on parking, and stopping to keep the abuse down as much as possible

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of this post yesterday when I had to stop for gas in the Heritage on the way home from work. I pull in and see another heritage backed into a spot in front of the convenience store portion of the station.

I fuel up, kinda keeping an eye on it to see if I know the guy. Older gent walks out of the store with his helmet on and a CANE to help him walk. He stands next to the scoot, hold the bars with one hand while helping his leg over with the other. Once mounted, puts the cane in some loops on the top of the bags, starts it up. I am thinking to myself, how is he going to get it off the stand!

Still not sure how he did it, but he rode off like it was nothing!