General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on most comfortable touring seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Russell Day Long. If you like to ride long distances, then you can't go wrong. I have rode over 1,000 miles in a single day without any seat discomfort what so ever. I used to start feeling discomfort at about 100 miles with the stock seat. I can now ride 700-900 miles per day for two weeks at a time without ever getting a sore butt. The Russell Day Long seat modification is easily the best money I have spent. For me it is everything they said it was and then some.

One thing to consider with Russell Day Long is your height. I'm 6' even and I went from flat footing the bike with the stock seat to being on the ***** of my feet while stopped. If you are under 5' 11", it could be a problem. They can do some adjustment during the seat build, but it is going to raise you up.

One more thing: I would try and do a ride in to their Shasta Lake, California facility if at all possible. For the amount of money you spend, you can get a perfect fit, and adjustments can be made on the spot. That is what I did.

There are a couple of pictures of my 2010 Ultra Classic with the Russell Seat in my album.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 AM
27freethrows
Advanced

A custom made Corbin seat is unreal. If you live anywhere near CA (or FL apparently) I could not reckoned riding in for a custom fitting enough. As a bonus the ride in and out of Hollister is pretty amazing.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mustang on my old RK was the best. The Mustang on my present FXSTC is very nice but not quite what the old wide touring was. It still beats stock by far.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After much research I finally decided on a C&C "Forward" seat with Gel insert. I should be getting it next friday or so. I'll let you know how it is.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 PM
JCCASH
Cruiser

Nice looking bike you have. It looks like your Corbin is the Dual Touring Saddle. I just sold my 01 Ultra and bought a 2011 SG. My Ultra Corbin Solo Tour Saddle with over 60K miles. Once I rode 14 hours none stop and my butt was fine but boy was I hyper when I arrived at my destination.

Originally Posted by Street08

As far as I am concerned, there is only one touring seat that my wife and I will ride on and that's a Corbin. Once you are use to it you will never ride anything else. We live in Atlanta and rode the back road to Dayton Beach. It took us 11 hours and no sore butts. My friend and his wife had a Mustang seat and they were complaining after the 3rd gas stop. Needless to say, he now rides a Corbin.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 4 seats on my Limited before I broke down and bought my Mustang regal with matching backrest. Should have got it first. 5 to 600 mile days not a bit of trouble.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mustang Solo was my first mod. Many 300-400 mile day trips with no problems, very comfortable seat. Still trying to firgure out what to do with the handlebars.

Mike

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM
BgDadddy
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Gorgeous!

Originally Posted by Street08

As far as I am concerned, there is only one touring seat that my wife and I will ride on and that's a Corbin. Once you are use to it you will never ride anything else. We live in Atlanta and rode the back road to Dayton Beach. It took us 11 hours and no sore butts. My friend and his wife had a Mustang seat and they were complaining after the 3rd gas stop. Needless to say, he now rides a Corbin.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I have had several back surgeries, and the seat is the most important
part of my bike. I went on an expensive "buy to try" run over a 2 yr period. My bike is an 05 Road King Custom, stock seat was way too thin to be very comfortable, it had to go!

1st was the Mustang Solo with their backrest. I liked the seat, it was pretty comfortable, but had problems with my left leg going asleep
after only 10 miles on the bike. Don't ask me why it was only my left leg, still wondering about that! The nose was just too wide for me, and the circulation was being cut off by the edge of the seat nose. I had to pull the bike over a few times just to walk around and get the blood going back down there..The Mustang backrest is one of the best on the market! I would have preferred a leather seat over the vinyl of the Mustang.

2nd came a custom Corbin solo. Had them use a softer foam then they
normally use, this is one comfortable seat. I had sat on many Corbins and they seemed to hard for my liking. I called them in Ca, and had a very bad experience with the phone rep, she just didn't want to talk about any custom seat unless I wanted to bring my bike there from NH.....hahah
I ended up calling them in FL, and got the shop manager on the phone, it was closing time, but he talked to me for at least 1/2 on what I wanted, etc, and had no problem taking a custom order on the phone. If anyone has had bad experience with Corbin in Ca, try the FL shop, MUCH better service there! The girl in Ca actually told me I wouldn't be happy with a custom seat before I even ordered it! She seemed like she just wanted to get off the phone and go home, very poor customer skills!
Got the Corbin backrest to go along with it, along with heat. I ordered just before they dropped all their prices a few years ago, and paid over $900 for a SOLO seat and backrest! Of course I was pissed when a month or so later they dropped all their prices by at least $200!!
Love the Corbin, but still was looking for something better..

I ended up adding a Sundowner to the collection with a Mustang backrest, and believe it or not, this is the best combination I have found..
I still use the Corbin some, but sold the Mustang....
Short of it is, it's very hard to find the right seat unless you actually buy them and try them out on your own.

The following users liked this post:
fattmatt20 (09-26-2017)