Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   I miss my bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/708926-i-miss-my-bike.html)

mike in dallas 11-20-2011 04:18 PM

I miss my bike

Let me start by giving the back story on this, On Oct. the 3rd i had to take my 2011 ulta in because of lifters tapping on cold start up. At that time the dealer replaced the lifters and 1 other part. cant remember exactly what. Anyway 3 weeks later it started again, except it didnt do it every time. So i waited untill it would give me the tapping noise on every startup. Took it back this past monday (11-14). this time they replaced the lifters with screaming eagle lifters and adj. pushrods... no dice its still doing the same thing. So yesterday (sat.) they were going into topend to look at something else. If that wasnt the problem the service mgr said something about the cam plate. They offered to loan me a bike but since i wasnt riding this weekend, and with rain in the forecast Mon. and Tues. i didnt see the point. With this week being Thankgiving week i am not sure if i will see my bike untill the week after. of course they still havnt found the problem yet and that concernes me. Before anyone asked the tapping would go away after a few min. of warming up. I did have to laugh when he said they were changing out my amsoil for screaming eagle oil to see if that was the problem. when i talked to him yesterday i asked him to change it back as that is what i prefer to use.. he said no problem.
That is why i miss my bike....ho hum....:(

SeeMeDo 11-20-2011 04:21 PM

Well at least they didn't stick to the normal script that "that's how it's suppose to run".

wideglidebob 11-20-2011 04:23 PM

send it a letter

TwiZted Biker 11-20-2011 04:28 PM

Off topic a bit I'm sorry but will someone please explain the allure of this amsoil bullshit ? It' isn't any different that any other other oil product I was in the industry for a while so I know what goes into the blends for dino & synthetics .

mike in dallas 11-20-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wideglidebob (Post 9061433)
send it a letter

i sent a e-mail instead...:icon_goofygrin:

Chunk 11-20-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 9061452)
Off topic a bit I'm sorry but will someone please explain the allure of this amsoil bullshit ? It' isn't any different that any other other oil product I was in the industry for a while so I know what goes into the blends for dino & synthetics .

That's cute your avatar is dry humpin a stuffed animal--allure

NickD 11-20-2011 06:38 PM

If you and the dealer are correcting identifying the sound as the lifters it would appear they are bleeding down. And the fact they changed them out and you still have the problem makes me say I'm with Twisted on using synthetic oil. Change out to straight 50 weight HD oil, or if it gets real cold where you're at, 20-50 weight HD oil. Harleys have been running just fine on Dino oil for a hundred years. All this synthetic hype is just that. It's the "New & Improved" way to separate dollars from your wallet. Hydraulic lifters need low viscosity oil to stay up!

:)

Geoff 11-20-2011 07:05 PM

Hang in there. You'll get things sorted out and be back on the road soon. And remember, there are many in the snow belt who won't ride again until March or April 2012.

1flhtk4me 11-20-2011 07:37 PM

Sounds like you have a good dealer whos willing to fix it.

Trucky911 11-20-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NickD (Post 9061934)
Change out to straight 50 weight HD oil.... Hydraulic lifters need low viscosity oil to stay up!

:)

How does 50 wt. oil help this?...

Trucky911