General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD ban on internet sales halted

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Since it was brought up, the RD350 lived on rpm's. Trying to enter the on ramp ramp wth mine way back when went from 6th to third to get into the traffic flow. Yep lot's of rpm's!

If MOCO were smart they would develop a strong IT dept at the home offices for electronic communication.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strongwood
i just don't understand

MoCo got their price for the parts when the dealer bought them, what the hell does it matter to them?

a dealer has the right to set his price to the level of profit he needs and is willing to take.....or not

if the dealer moves more product, the MOCO sells more parts

the dealer is the one taking the hit
When you have a large company and offer franchises, you have to (or should) offer some sort of territory protection for your franchises. For example, why would I spend the money to open a Subway sammy shop if Subway will allow another dude to open one down the street and compete with me? (yeah, I know it happened)

The MoCo is just (I'm sure) reacting to dealerships who are probably complaining that other dealers are using their internet sales to take business from their territory. Yes, I know about competition being healthy, and the internet is here to stay, and price your stuff right to begin with, blah blah blah...all I'm saying is that the MoCo is most likely being inundated with complaints from it's dealers about these internet sales cutting into their bottom line....and since we're a franchise we have territory rights...please do something about it.

It all smacks of internal squabbling to me...the MoCo and it's dealers....and the MoCo makes a stupid attempt to do something about it....and one of the big internet dealers says no......

Boils down to dealers unwilling to cut a discount or work with customers. Then the customer goes online and orders from another dealer who IS willing to cut a discount. So, the first dealer gets all butthurt and starts crying to the MoCo about the internet dealer invading their territory.

Well too bad dealer #1....get with the current trend and stop being a phallus....offer some discounts, compete....or die.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Yes it is only temporary. It is not the end. In cases like this the judge stays the issue until the courts decides. It has no bearing on which way the court rules. It just keeps the issue on hold until the court decides.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
HD really is like Apple.
And Red Wing Shoes, no internet sales!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
When you have a large company and offer franchises, you have to (or should) offer some sort of territory protection for your franchises. For example, why would I spend the money to open a Subway sammy shop if Subway will allow another dude to open one down the street and compete with me? (yeah, I know it happened)

The MoCo is just (I'm sure) reacting to dealerships who are probably complaining that other dealers are using their internet sales to take business from their territory. Yes, I know about competition being healthy, and the internet is here to stay, and price your stuff right to begin with, blah blah blah...all I'm saying is that the MoCo is most likely being inundated with complaints from it's dealers about these internet sales cutting into their bottom line....and since we're a franchise we have territory rights...please do something about it.

It all smacks of internal squabbling to me...the MoCo and it's dealers....and the MoCo makes a stupid attempt to do something about it....and one of the big internet dealers says no......

Boils down to dealers unwilling to cut a discount or work with customers. Then the customer goes online and orders from another dealer who IS willing to cut a discount. So, the first dealer gets all butthurt and starts crying to the MoCo about the internet dealer invading their territory.

Well too bad dealer #1....get with the current trend and stop being a phallus....offer some discounts, compete....or die.
exactly

I understand about protected territories but that is brick and mortar times.

you cannot stop (regulate) commerce by not allowing business to be conducted via the internet.

as you said, they should get with the program or whither away.The dealers should think growth.....and that comes from outside their protected territory

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Now I know why tires jump so high from the dealership I bought them from over the Internet before.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Consumers will always chase the lowest price just like manufacturers will always chase the lowest labor price. Simple economics.
The economics are not that simple. Product + better service + availability can command a higher price. Unfortunately the local dealers are reluctant to provide that service & stock parts.

PS: loved my little RD350. Faster than any Norton or Harley.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
The economics are not that simple. Product + better service + availability can command a higher price. Unfortunately the local dealers are reluctant to provide that service & stock parts.
+1 You are exactly right...dealers could develop better personal relationships with their customers but in the end they are oversold and there are just too many of them to be competitive. Harley can only resist internet global business as it is here to stay and they will lose since they will never innovate. I mean there is no email address for HD customer service. They will never attract enough young customers unless they get with the times.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
When you have a large company and offer franchises, you have to (or should) offer some sort of territory protection for your franchises.
Yeah, but it ends up being price fixing which violates anti-trust laws....works in Canada as they have 1 dealer who controls everything....so how would you like to get stabbed for another 25% because if they could the MoCo would smile and charge you as much as possible and tell you "tough crap".

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MoCo sees the light!!!....Ending Internet sales cuts into the bottom line (sales)...Doesn't take a college education to figure that out!

Quick Reply: HD ban on internet sales halted