General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After the Fall: Your Motorcycle Accident Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
HDForums Editors
Internet Brands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After the Fall: Your Motorcycle Accident Checklist

Our new content partner wrote up this handy dandy checklist...

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/in...-checklist.php

Did he leave anything out?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Good to see that list, just wish I had read it before last June. #3 is very important. Didn't go to the ER because I had no broken bones and was able to stop the bleeding. When it came time to settle with the insurance company, I had nothing....they needed documentation of my supposed road rash injuries. They just couldn't comprehend what happened after getting knocked off the bike at 45MPH.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#8. Keep a journal, write everything down. If it affects your quality of life you deserve compensation.
Find an ABATE Lawyer to represent you. If you are not an ABATE member (you should be) you can still have an ABATE Lawyer represent you. The ABATE Lawyer here in Oregon only does motorcycle related cases, knows his stuff really well.
Do not be bashful about going to the E.R. or the Dr. If the accident is there fault you will compensated.
Follow up with the officer responding to the scene. In my case I was T-boned by a car pulling out of a side street from my right. The officer did not issue a ticket at all. On the accident report the gal that hit me told the officer that she didn't see me until she hit me.
I called his Supervisor and was told that the gal lived out of state and they did not have the resources to cite her. It should have been done at the scene of the accident. By the time I called the Supervisor the following week (after getting the accident report) he did not want to send a Deputy from Oregon to the Seattle area to cite her.