General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding With Music

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a MP3/FM radio I use sometimes. I can still hear sound 'around' me.

I don't use it when I'm riding in a group. only when solo riding.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
I enjoy the four speakers on my Ultra Classic. I plan on adding about 6 more as I upgrade the stereo system.
That way everyone at stoplights, etc. can enjoy your taste in music.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
That way everyone at stoplights, etc. can enjoy your taste in music.
I actually turn it down. Ive got my woman trained to talk to me at stop lights and gas stations on the bike and during commercials when we watch tv.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
BgDadddy
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I wear buds in both ears.

I use the sound reducing ones that are like ear plugs you can hear music through. That way I hear it great without turning it way up.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 PM
FlyinRyan93
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On longer rides I use one ear bud in the right ear. I have the kind that seal the ear like ear plugs; That way it doesn't have to be super loud.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to ride with one earbud, which worked okay except I had to start out with it fairly loud so when I hit top speed I could still hear it over the wind noise (no helmet). When I did use a helmet, sometimes the earbud would dislodge, and I wouldn't have museic the rest of the ride.

Then I got a SG so don't need any earbuds to enjoy my music at all times.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,337 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Not me...I like the sound of the engine, enjoy listening to the cadence coming from the pipes, and other sounds of being out there on the road. Since I don't wear a lid, and sometimes ride with a mini fairing...other times no fairing...I have the wind rush.

Besides..."hearing" my surroundings if almost 1/2 of my senses of what's happening around me. Intersections, stoplights..even just riding down the road..even though my eyes pretty much catch it all, I want my hearing at 100% to "catch" that rare thing that is sneaking up on me that my eyes may have missed. Not having hearing would lower the effectiveness of my 360* radar system.

If I wanted music on the bike...I would go with a headset in a helmet...but then I don't wear one. But at least that would allow other outside sounds to come in, versus earbuds. Or...I'd have to get a bike with a full fairing..so I could do a stereo system on the bike. But I can't stand thumping ground shaking blasting music when kids pull up to stoplights in their urban mobiles forcing everyone in a 3 block radius to hear their music...so I'd be worried about an exposed stereo system on a bike doing similar things to the people unfortunate enough to be stuck next to me at a stoplight.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 12-27-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I choose not to ride with music on my bike.
Me neither, the only noise I want to hear when I ride is my engine, what's going on around me and the quietness of my thoughts....If I want to arbitrarily ride with music, I'll jump in my cage...That's just me.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I will not ride with anyone if I can hear music playing,Period! Not the place for it as far as I am concerned,the wife feels the same way.To each his/her own.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have ridden with music but chose not to anymore, why? I really enjoy the sound of the motor with the whole bike working together. The current craze is music but to me it just adds another reason for general public to complain about the loudness of bikes when that goofy pirate on the loud bike with the crapy sounding music blasting away, borne to be bad.....

Quick Reply: Riding With Music