Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Riding With Music (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/718134-riding-with-music.html)

TANK25 12-26-2011 10:08 AM

Riding With Music

I know a few guys who ride with an earphone in one ear,so they can listen to their mp3 player. I never tried it,I just think it might be too dangerous.Does anyone else ride like this?

Kowan 12-26-2011 10:11 AM

I choose not to ride with music on my bike.

W.P. 12-26-2011 10:17 AM

I've tried ear buds and didn't like it but many of the folks I ride with seem to like it.

desertrideryz 12-26-2011 10:20 AM

I ride with music.I put it on my motorola droid phone. Works good. The only thing I do is only use one earpiece. So I can still hear motor and road noise/sirens

TANK25 12-26-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by desertrideryz (Post 9182740)
I ride with music.I put it on my motorola droid phone. Works good. The only thing I do is only use one earpiece. So I can still hear motor and road noise/sirens

That`s how a few of my friends do it also.I might give the one ear bud a try.

NDBadlands4-2 12-26-2011 10:51 AM

I have speakers built into my helmet. Works great.

Ben E 12-26-2011 10:53 AM

Lots of strong feelings on this, eg, safety, tunes or wind and motor, etc. I use buds sometimes; probably compromises safety a little because of focus and harder twisting when a rocking song plays.

buckwing 12-26-2011 11:27 AM

Is the music distracting in traffic?

dpk20x 12-26-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TANK25 (Post 9182711)
I know a few guys who ride with an earphone in one ear,so they can listen to their mp3 player. I never tried it,I just think it might be too dangerous.Does anyone else ride like this?

I used to ride with ear buds all the time and never had a problem or felt they were dangerous. I wore them under a full face helmet so I never had to turn the volume up super high and I could still hear the important stuff like car horns and sirens (I got pulled over so many times lol). Best thing to do is try it out and see if it's for you

deadman77 12-26-2011 01:05 PM

I feel its distracting. Riding tends to clear my head and helps me think. Besides that, I like the sound of the motor. JMHO

Scouser1 12-26-2011 01:15 PM

I have the earphones/buds that fit to my iphone, great for long rides.
Just don't have it too loud and you can still hear traffic
Scouser

Captain Itch 12-26-2011 01:18 PM

I have been riding with earbuds in both ears for a long time..To me it is not distracting at all..I hear everything around me. I also ride with a half helmet as anything bigger was a distraction for me..

09heritagerider 12-26-2011 01:20 PM

On longer rides, I'll wear earbuds with an ipod. On anything under 200 miles, I don't. I haven't found it very distracting.

6 gun 12-26-2011 01:50 PM

I don't do the music thing on my bike or cage

cardoctor 12-26-2011 01:54 PM

no earbuds. i bought a cheap set of helmet speakers on ebay works perfectly with my 3/4 helmet

FinallyRidin 12-26-2011 02:21 PM

I use earbuds when not in heavy traffic, I can still hear surrounding noise and don't find it distracting. I use them mainly when doing open road riding.

rickss69 12-26-2011 02:48 PM

Just bought these to put in my new FF... http://www.edsets.com/speaker-only_kits

bigdaddy33 12-26-2011 02:49 PM

For me it all comes down to where you're riding. With the traffic where I live in NY, no way would I ride with ear buds, but when I ride out west on wide open roads, definitely yes.

pargenz 12-26-2011 03:08 PM

I have speakers in my FF helmet, which I wear in bad weather or long trips.

I hacked up a set of headphones to make speakers for my half-helmet.

I also have 4 speakers on the scoot that I use most of the time, with or without a lid.

I find none of them distracting, nor feel any safety concerns.

DannyZ71 12-26-2011 03:23 PM

I don't as of now, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. Just have to find a way to keep the phone charged up is all. Not a lot of places to put a power source, that won't take away from the bike. Plus I'm not fond of being tethered to the bike. I know I'll jump off the bike and forget about it some time.

creed0423 12-26-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by deadman77 (Post 9183186)
I feel its distracting. Riding tends to clear my head and helps me think. Besides that, I like the sound of the motor. JMHO

I agree... I bought the bike to get away from everything and relax.

brenn 12-26-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by TANK25 (Post 9182711)

I ride with them in both ears, sometimes. Not a problem. Do you really "hear" cars? I "see" them.

TANK25 12-26-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by brenn (Post 9183779)
I ride with them in both ears, sometimes. Not a problem. Do you really "hear" cars? I "see" them.

You make a good point.

Wide_Open 12-26-2011 04:51 PM

Never saw the need for music while riding.

Sethjamto 12-26-2011 05:52 PM

I used to, buy don't have the need anymore with my RG!

HarleyRanger 12-26-2011 06:32 PM

I enjoy the four speakers on my Ultra Classic. I plan on adding about 6 more as I upgrade the stereo system.

waterdog 12-26-2011 06:53 PM

I sometimes ride with earbuds and a MP3 player. Have never had a problem hearing traffic around me or sirens. It's a hassle though when riding with others and pull to a stop light and they want to talk.

fj1200 12-26-2011 06:55 PM

I have tried ear buds and helmet speakers and never felt comfortable with them. I have no problems using the speakers on the Ultra Limited though.

FXD_TG 12-26-2011 09:13 PM

I've been riding with ear-buds in for about 13 years for my daily commute and other solo trips. The gel buds work best. Trick is setting volume so that you essentially cancel out the wind noise + a little more so you can hear the audio, but can still hear sirens and other things that you'd hear driving in your cage. Hearing the motor is not a problem with the volume at this level and I've never found it to be a distraction. However, I use headphone/earbuds that have a remote / inline volume control so that I can quickly dial down the music so that I can have a conversation without removing my helmet or digging out my iPod.

I've had in-helmet speakers wired to stereo/GPS/Bluetooth phone/intercom before on my BMW R1150RT... I prefer the earbuds with just the iPod for non-touring.

L A M B C H O P 12-26-2011 09:25 PM

:icon_playingball:
In big traffic No ,on open roads yes but I get tired of am/fm and listening to my pipes is more fun. Can't find good balance with radio volume and keeps getting harmonics anyway which is more trouble than its worth.

Mal74 12-26-2011 09:29 PM

I have a MP3/FM radio I use sometimes. I can still hear sound 'around' me.

I don't use it when I'm riding in a group. only when solo riding.

warrconn 12-26-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger (Post 9184115)
I enjoy the four speakers on my Ultra Classic. I plan on adding about 6 more as I upgrade the stereo system.

That way everyone at stoplights, etc. can enjoy your taste in music.

HarleyRanger 12-26-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by warrconn (Post 9184819)
That way everyone at stoplights, etc. can enjoy your taste in music.

I actually turn it down. Ive got my woman trained to talk to me at stop lights and gas stations on the bike and during commercials when we watch tv. :)

BgDadddy 12-26-2011 11:05 PM

I wear buds in both ears.

I use the sound reducing ones that are like ear plugs you can hear music through. That way I hear it great without turning it way up.

FlyinRyan93 12-26-2011 11:09 PM

On longer rides I use one ear bud in the right ear. I have the kind that seal the ear like ear plugs; That way it doesn't have to be super loud.

bogieb 12-27-2011 05:32 AM

I used to ride with one earbud, which worked okay except I had to start out with it fairly loud so when I hit top speed I could still hear it over the wind noise (no helmet). When I did use a helmet, sometimes the earbud would dislodge, and I wouldn't have museic the rest of the ride.

Then I got a SG so don't need any earbuds to enjoy my music at all times.

YeOldeStonecat 12-27-2011 05:36 AM

Not me...I like the sound of the engine, enjoy listening to the cadence coming from the pipes, and other sounds of being out there on the road. Since I don't wear a lid, and sometimes ride with a mini fairing...other times no fairing...I have the wind rush.

Besides..."hearing" my surroundings if almost 1/2 of my senses of what's happening around me. Intersections, stoplights..even just riding down the road..even though my eyes pretty much catch it all, I want my hearing at 100% to "catch" that rare thing that is sneaking up on me that my eyes may have missed. Not having hearing would lower the effectiveness of my 360* radar system.

If I wanted music on the bike...I would go with a headset in a helmet...but then I don't wear one. But at least that would allow other outside sounds to come in, versus earbuds. Or...I'd have to get a bike with a full fairing..so I could do a stereo system on the bike. But I can't stand thumping ground shaking blasting music when kids pull up to stoplights in their urban mobiles forcing everyone in a 3 block radius to hear their music...so I'd be worried about an exposed stereo system on a bike doing similar things to the people unfortunate enough to be stuck next to me at a stoplight.

TUCCI 12-27-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kowan (Post 9182717)
I choose not to ride with music on my bike.

Me neither, the only noise I want to hear when I ride is my engine, what's going on around me and the quietness of my thoughts....If I want to arbitrarily ride with music, I'll jump in my cage...That's just me.

dog155 12-27-2011 06:02 AM

I will not ride with anyone if I can hear music playing,Period! Not the place for it as far as I am concerned,the wife feels the same way.To each his/her own.

SeeMeDo 12-27-2011 06:07 AM

have ridden with music but chose not to anymore, why? I really enjoy the sound of the motor with the whole bike working together. The current craze is music but to me it just adds another reason for general public to complain about the loudness of bikes when that goofy pirate on the loud bike with the crapy sounding music blasting away, borne to be bad.....