General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 01:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
In the market for an HD? Found out what some experienced riders suggested to those looking to get their first bike.

Read full discussion below.
Print Wikipost

Need help: Iron 883 or a Forty-Eight (new rider w/ many questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its winter and they don't do many demo rides in the winter time but I wouldn't buy anything new without knowing what you want for many years. As others have said you can get a used sporty pretty cheap. So when you buy your sporty and want to upgrade you will take a huge hit on the re-sale because there are so many out there. The dealers won't even take sporty's in for a trade because they can't get rid of them. I bought a sporty, rode it for a couple years and sold it for about $500 less what I had in it. I then rented a Fat Boy Lo for several days. I fell in love with it and now its sitting in the garage waiting for the 50 degree weather expected for Friday. I also did some demo rides Softail Deluxe, Vrod, Dyna Fat Bob but still liked the Fat Boy the best. If you go to a demo ride you might decide you want a different model. Then you might be able to pick up a great used one within your budget.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
ncarter124
Advanced

Thanks again guys. I think after listening to what you all have said, I'm going with the Forty-Eight. I got a hold of a buddy of mine who has a 2009 Sportster (that the a-hole won in a raffle I might add) and he said he loves it but would want a 1200 if he had the choice, and he is a skinny guy. I think that, in conjunction with the wider tire and overall style wins it for me. I'm not a fan of the tank size (love the look though) but it's not along distance bike anyway. I think the overall idea I have here is to get a Forty-Eight, learn on it, do some light modifications to it, and then in 2-3 years get something a tad bigger and then probably keep the Forty-Eight as a 2nd bike. We all know you can't plan anything in life, but that's my plan for now. I do still plan on actually riding both just to make sure, but I think the 1200 is the way to go with my size. The idea of the 1200 kit on the Iron is ok, but I think I want that wider front tire too... and by the time you get done with the price of the kit, having somebody install it and then add in the fork and tire... I'd be up to the price of a Forty-Eight anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, I do greatly appreciate them. I may see what I can find as far as a winter deal, but being in central Florida I am guessing they might not be as hard up for sales as they would be up North... never know though.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I still dont get the upgrade from a sporty talk. IMO other harleys are a side step at best.......to me........a down grade.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey ncarter when you gonna upgrade from your Mustang GT to a Lincoln Town Car?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

I think the comparison is more like upgrading from a Ford Festiva (Sportster) to a Ford Mustang (Fat Boy). I call that an upgrade.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a used 1200 C sporty. Ride the hell out of it.
Then you will be looking for a Wide Glide Or a soft tail Custom.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nevar
Go buy a used 1200 C sporty. Ride the hell out of it.
Then you will be looking for a Wide Glide Or a soft tail Custom.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

heres a bit of advise...get the "ride like a pro" video, good info. also check out ocala hd and crystal river hd, ive heard good stuff about both. 6 ft is not to big for a 1200 sportster with forwards. it is true that the suspension sux, but as was mentioned, street glide shocks in the rear, new progressives and fork oil in the front and it will be fine. a good seat with suspension mods and your good to go. the sportsters are very reliable and much cheaper to maintain when it comes to tires and services compared to the big twins.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1200 all day!!!!
New bars, new seat eventually... You won't out grow it...
All this talk upgrade your 883 to 1200...
How about getting the better bike in the first place...
Upgrade the 1200 with pipes, air cleaner and tuner!!!
883-1200 conversion won't keep up... You can also bump up a sporty 1200 just like the 883...
Get the nightster or 48!!!
If the 48 tank becomes too small.... You can get bigger...

If an 883 to 1200 conversion becomes to small or 2 slow... Pretty much done...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer

Wouldn't buy either! I would get my cycle endorsement rent a few bikes, figure out my riding style then narrow down the selection. I wouldn't base my pjrchase on price and I would consider metrics depending on riding style

Quick Reply: Need help: Iron 883 or a Forty-Eight (new rider w/ many questions)