General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared of Salt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bwana1
My Nightster has been totally covered white from running on damp salt at Bonneville, looked like it had been in a blizzard. Wash it off, good to go.

Bwana
No offense, but dry salt is way different from the wet crap they load the roads up with in Ohio. Plus you live in AZ, not the same weather as Ohio. Unless it's in a heated garage, that bike is going to go through near daily freeze/thaw (condensation) cycles until summer hits. I wouldn't even consider it.
In the seventies I used to buy cars by the bucketload for $20-$100 bucks. Most less than 5 years old all with less than 50k on the ODO. They were so rusted parts would literally fall off if you drove them. Lost the entire tailgate off a 70 merc wagon in 76. The only thing left holding it was the limit cable. Two or three gallons of bondo and they were good to go for at least another year Why do you think Bondo was invented in Cleveland?
Things have gotten better with paints and metal treatment but your bike will never be the same. Better to listen to "don't do it" than "I told you so"
DON'T DO IT!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I've worked on some used bikes that obviously got in some salt here in MN; locked up swing arm bearings, rusty hardware where it's hard to reach to clean, and pitted aluminum everywhere. If you can dunk the bike in a clean lake you might actually get rid of all the salt...

MN pours the damn stuff at intersections, and I've even had cars slide on it. Can't imagine riding on it; it's like fine gravel when there's too much for all of it to melt. Haven't seen the liquid stuff used up here yet, judging from the crystals I already see on our roads, they're still using the hard stuff.

What's your baby worth? What's it worth if you do get rusty spots? How much does a laydown cost? We have disadvantages in the North we just have to live with sometimes. I hate it, too.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The salt is like a powder and compromises traction. Also tires are harder the colder it gets, usually.

To me, washing a bike in the cold is miserable. But I'm pretty spoiled in NorCal.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For those that believe that a good wash job will take care of salt on you're bike after a nice winter ride I really hate break it to ya you're wrong. If you plan on trade bikes every few year's its not such a big deal it just becomes the next guy's problem. I rode through two Wisconsin winters because the bike was all I had and cleaned it religiously, well after that second year picked up another truck and thought now was a good time for a good winter project of a ground up on the bike replace a few things and nice new paint job. Turned in to one of the biggest pain in the *** crap jobs I ever got in to on a bike rust all over in the places that a wash job doesn't touch, thing of it is it doesn't matter how good a wash job you do that salt dust gets in to places that do not get cleaned unless you pretty much strip the bike down. If you don't believe me go out and pull youre seat, side covers or bags and look at the dust and crap their even after riding on nice clean rain washed roads.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Orange1200SS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way. I have a beater truck for winter. My bike/nice truck get parked. Salt ruins everything up north. Want proof? Come see the nonexistant rocker panels on my truck.
You couldnt pay me to ride my Harley on salted roads. I wish they would stop using salt all together. Waste of money and makes a mess out of everything.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 AM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

It only dropped to 40 degrees but I would hate for any rust on my bike. I think I will keep it parked until we get a nice rain to wash this sh$% away.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash it off....ride. I have done it many times and my bike is crazy clean.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 AM
woodtick50
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 647 Posts

Leave it parked. I wait for good rain in the spring before riding again.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

You will never get it all off!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

This is why i keep a yamaha. There is so much salt now though. I dont think i am even gonna ride it this morning. It has alot of chrome. Chrome pits fast!!

Quick Reply: Scared of Salt?