General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amputee on a bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

I have an EFM Auotoclutch.
Any amputees can also find a lot of info on this site. http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/htt...edbiker.co.uk/

It's a European site, but it has a lot of good info.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM
cobby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gyspylady you're impressive. Bkrazy, is that something like a Freedom Innovations foot?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Bkrazy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cobby
Bkrazy, is that something like a Freedom Innovations foot?

You know, I should pay more attention to what the give me. I get new feet from the Army every couple of years. I believe it is a freedom innovation flex foot, but I am not 100% sure. I also have a renegade2 and the cheetah running leg as well as a water leg set up. I remember the renegade as that is my go to foot for when I am in uniform. It works really well in boots once it has been adjusted for the heel. Although it then isnt so good for normal shoes (once adjusted). It is great seeing so many amputees overcoming their "situation" in order to enjoy their life!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
cobby
Tourer

I have the Renegade. It is all I wear. I do have a water leg with a cheap foot in case of ???. I built a peg leg for my water leg socket out of a Louisville Slugger and my grandkids love it when I take them around as a pirate on Halloween. Won a few contests in the bars for being fairly authentic. I still do everything I did before, just with adjustments. I slolom water ski, wakeboard, snow ski, ride horses, snowmobiles, harleys, dance, work the ranch and so on. I think the BK deal is is about the least invasive of all the limb losses. You can get back all your old life with enough try. I refuse to have a handicap sticker to handicap park. I went to a concert a while back and they won't let you bring in your own booze (have to buy theirs), well I have a thing called the Flexiflask. I taped it to my leg where it's skinny and made it through all the checks. There's good in all bad.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Gypsylady

Gyspylady you're impressive. Bkrazy, is that something like a Freedom Innovations foot?
Thank you, Dear. It was a long road back & I'm still getting used to the new ride. Don't get to ride much but, when I do, it's awesome!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
cobby
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Thank you, Dear. It was a long road back & I'm still getting used to the new ride. Don't get to ride much but, when I do, it's awesome!
You know i would have a lot harder time with a missing hand or arm. Hell a foot! That's just a smelly old foot.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Gypsylady

You know i would have a lot harder time with a missing hand or arm. Hell a foot! That's just a smelly old foot.
Leg prosthetics are a lot more advanced than arm prosthetics. Only 5% of amputees are arms...Less when you get above the elbow. Personally, I'm glad my arm is just the base prosthetic, I can get caught in the rain & my arm won't screw up! Really, riding is the only time I use it. It was so long after my wreck before I got my arm that I was used to doing everything with one hand & never thought to put the effin' thing on before I left the house!

That said, I would have MUCH rather lost a leg BECAUSE of the great leg prosthetics out there!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
cobby
Tourer

Ya, most folks don't know i'm an amp, and are generally surprised when they find out. Course every night i take my leg off, and there you go i'm a one legged guy. I agree, the legs are really good. Mine has no moving parts and is carbon fiber, so it's fool proof. How does that auto clutch thing work?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Gypsylady

Basically, it's not much different than a regular clutch....Except the bike will roll in gear when it's not running...Makes it interesting at start-up. She will start in gear! Other than that, you shift the same as always...Just no clutch lever to fool with.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,925 Likes on 8,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Leg prosthetics are a lot more advanced than arm prosthetics. Only 5% of amputees are arms...Less when you get above the elbow. Personally, I'm glad my arm is just the base prosthetic, I can get caught in the rain & my arm won't screw up! Really, riding is the only time I use it. It was so long after my wreck before I got my arm that I was used to doing everything with one hand & never thought to put the effin' thing on before I left the house!

That said, I would have MUCH rather lost a leg BECAUSE of the great leg prosthetics out there!
You are a very brave lady GL.

Quick Reply: Amputee on a bike