General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heart Attack. Still Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:51 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Heart Attack. Still Ride?

I'm fresh out of the hospital. Should I still ride when I get my strength back?

I've always been in perfect health, no problems ever. Last month Mom was hospitalized; drove cross-country to stay with her. Mom died; drove cross-country to the funeral. Work projects didn't get done; needed for raise. Also been using too much coffee and pastries to stay awake the last several months.

Last weekend had chest pains. 95% blockage; 10% heart function loss. 58. Now on blood thinner for a year. The wife's been on blood thinner for 12 years with her heart problems.

I can't stand the thought of selling my Harley, but I don't want to be stupid. However, riding is the only thrilling/fun/stress buster/getaway I have. Again, however, I'd almost have to sell it to do something else; rv, or retire, or...

I'd like to hear from others who have had to make these kinds of decisions.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Heart Attack. Still Ride?

Well i didn't have a heart attack, but I suffered a traumatic brain injury which is basically a stroke in 2005. At the time I didn't have a bike, but a couple of months after returning from the hospital I pulled the trigger and got a harley. I haven't looked back since. My injury was serious enough that I take anti seizure medication everyday, and hae been told to limit my caffiene intake to 2 cups of coffee a day. the neurologist said at least 1 more year of anti sezure medication 2x daily. I think if you give yourself porper time to recover you will be alright. Just take it slow for now. If that is what brings you joy, do it...

Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So what treatment did the doctors give you?

At age 46 I had a single bypass after suffering for weeks from angina pain. I went into rehab after 10 days of hospitalization. The doctor said I shouldn't ride or drive until my breastbone healed, because it was wired together. As a matter of fact, any sideways stress on my rib cage hurt like heck, so it was a no brainer. After the docs checked my breastbone and released me to drive, I took that to mean I could also ride. I admit I was taking chances because if I had been thrown off it could have gone bad for me. So I rode very carefully.

I would make my decision based on the possibility of having more heart attacks. If the doctors are confident your treatment will prevent a reoccurance, enjoy the ride. Nothing is guaranteed but for me, I haven't had a minutes problem with my heart in 20 years. That would be a lot of missed riding joy!! I say go for it.[8D]

Old 12-14-2006, 03:07 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks. Of course this is what I wanted to hear.

I had a Angio-plasti (sp?) with a baloon, then a stent to keep it open. One. I will change my diet. I've always exercised.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: eleutheros

I'm fresh out of the hospital. Should I still ride when I get my strength back?

I've always been in perfect health, no problems ever. Last month Mom was hospitalized; drove cross-country to stay with her. Mom died; drove cross-country to the funeral. Work projects didn't get done; needed for raise. Also been using too much coffee and pastries to stay awake the last several months.

Last weekend had chest pains. 95% blockage; 10% heart function loss. 58. Now on blood thinner for a year. The wife's been on blood thinner for 12 years with her heart problems.

I can't stand the thought of selling my Harley, but I don't want to be stupid. However, riding is the only thrilling/fun/stress buster/getaway I have. Again, however, I'd almost have to sell it to do something else; rv, or retire, or...

I'd like to hear from others who have had to make these kinds of decisions.

Thanks
First off,very sorry about your mom.My prayers to you & your family.
Don't know where your from,but if you get winter.Take the time to recoup your self.Actually just take the time & get your strengh back.
No need to sell your scoot,your down not out.Good luck & keep us posted

Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Angio-plasti (sp?) with a baloon, then a stent to keep it open. One. I will change my diet. I've always exercised.
Check out this link. www.kanekaq10.com and ask your Dr. about it. It is the most prescribed medication in Japan for treatment of Heart ailments. I am employed by the company that manufactures the product.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ROLLNTIGER

Check out this link. www.kanekaq10.com and ask your Dr. about it. It is the most prescribed medication in Japan for treatment of Heart ailments. I am employed by the company that manufactures the product.
Hey ROLLNTIGER,
No spamming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,J/K.
This place is great for info

Old 12-14-2006, 03:56 AM
Dave_B
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eleu,
I had the unpleasant surprise of chest pains and had stents put in last January at 59. I gave the bike a rest for a while but I'm back on it now; in fact, bought a new Ultra in August. The treatments and medications they have now seem to work so well that I think in most cases it's a mistake to make yourself an invalid.

The cardiologist will probably have you do a stress test after some time for healing; it's quite possible that 10% number will come down. The stress test will provide a pretty good indication of whether your condition is stable enough to drive and do other things.

The last thing I'd want to do is put others in danger but I figure if the doctors say it's okay to drive, why not? Good luck to you.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oops sorry if it was construed as spam. I hate that crap myself. Just trying to pass on some good info. Not like I'm gonna make any money off of it.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mom, I lost my father in September so we're sort of in the same boat, and wellcome to the stint club.
But you have a ways to go to catch up with me on stints. I'm up to 6 now from 4 heart attacks. Got a lousey family history for heart problems, it seems like all of us seem to have it. Anyway the first one (about 12 or so years ago) was the worst and laid me up for about 2 months. But the treatments for it have come a LOOOONG way since then, and the last one they actually did one angio and stint the night of my attack, then did it again the next morning.
A lot of the after effects come from both how they do it and what meds they put you on afterwards.
My first one they went in through the groin and gave me a lot of lopressor and other "goodies" that wiped me out.
The second and third were done the same way but without the large doses of pressure meds so they were a bit easier to get over and I felt normal in a couple of weeks. Even went back to work in three or four weeks, it bored me to tears so I went back to work. I just didn't try lifting heavy things for the first month or so.
The last one was easier than a having a tooth pulled, and it hurt less to boot. The hospitals have some of the best dope around.
The last time they had to do the Angoplast twice, becasue after they did the first testing revealed that my first stint was aslo not looking too good so they went in again and put a new stint inside the old one. But they went in through my right wrist both times and it only bothered me for a day or so. Felt fine and they sent me home after ony 2 days in the hospital, and because they gave me only a low dose of the pressure meds I felt fine in less than a week. I could have gone back to normal work in two weeks but the wife insised that I take as much time as I could get away with. I needed a vacation as I hadn't had one inf 5 years, had a ton of vacation time saved up, so I stayed out for 2 months.
Only problem was that I didn't have my Hog then or I would have worn it out.

How they put the stint in seems to be one of the problems with it. If they went in therough the groin, your a couch potato for a week to 10 days while the cut artery heals up properly. If they went in throught the wrist its easier as there is less stress on the tissues and its a smaller incision so it heals up faster.
The other consideration is the type and amount of meds they have you on. Mid to high doses of pressure meds will not go well with a bike of any kind, much less one as heavy as a Hog. They sap your strength and slow your reflexes down, neither is very good for bike riding. Hell their not much fun when you try climbing stairs fast. But the pressure pills are normally only short term to allow the incision to heal and heart to recover from the stress of the attack.
Best guess is that your off bike riding for at least 2 weeks, and if your a good boy back on inside a month.
If they have a rehab program, go for it. Most insurance companys will even pay for a good part of it, and its a good way to keep track of how well your recovering.
Take care of your self and get better, the bike and road will still be there next month. Besides, this will give you time to do some cleaning, detailing, and minor upgrades while the wife isn't looking. Just don't let her catch you lifting the engine or tranny out of the frame or there will be hell to pay. For some reason they get really ticked off when you do moee than they think you can or should.

Quick Reply: Heart Attack. Still Ride?