General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Get yourself heated grips or heated gloves. Also a heated vest to keep your core warm. The cold air getting to your skin can cool you down no matter how many layers you have on. In really cold weather I will put on my rain jacket over my leathers. That provides a wind proof barrier between me and the cold.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by glock221
Going to Daytona from Omaha in March for bike week. I have been riding in 45-48 temps to train myself for the cold. Today I ventured out in 37. All I can say is OMFG. I wore Thermal pants, Thermal Shirt, long sleeve shirt, Jeans, socks,boots (Doc Marten) Chaps, Leather coat, FXRG Gloves, Fullface helmet, Neck Scarf. Hands were fine. Legs were cold, upper body was cold, feet were freezing. Any ideas on how to keep the cold parts warm? I am hoping when I leave on the 13th of march it will be much warmer than 37.

I got a windscreen but it is not on yet.
I find jeans just don't cut it cold weather and chaps as you've probably figured out by now are mostly just decorative.

- insulated motorcycle pants
- helmet balaclava under FF helmet ($10 at most cycle shops - keeps neck and chin warm)
- 3/4 length motorcycle jacket
- heavy insulated motorcycle gloves or heated gloves
- heated liner is really nice

The main rule in cold weather riding is stop the wind. Insulation does not work unless you first stop the wind.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Heated gear will solve your problem. But, if you don't have a grand to drop on all that -

Nice thin Balaclava. Less bulky than a scarf and allows you to zip all the way up.

Down vest. Light. Easy to pack small when not in use. Warm. Cheap.

Tourmaster Caliber, or similar, riding pants. Keeps wind and rain out, warmth in.

Polyprop socks then wrap your feet in plastic wrap. Stick on some toe warmers.

Gauntlet gloves or overgloves. Keeps cold air from going up your sleeves.

The windscreen will help the upper body heat loss tremendously.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I am leaving Central Pa on March 7th to ride down. Really hopin for the best but do have a full set of Gerbing. Wouldnt plan on not trailering if I didnt have them. Did a 100 miles today in the low 30s today and the heat sure did feel good from them. Remember, its a long way til ya hit warmer weather. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glock221
Going to Daytona from Omaha in March for bike week. I have been riding in 45-48 temps to train myself for the cold. Today I ventured out in 37. All I can say is OMFG. I wore Thermal pants, Thermal Shirt, long sleeve shirt, Jeans, socks,boots (Doc Marten) Chaps, Leather coat, FXRG Gloves, Fullface helmet, Neck Scarf. Hands were fine. Legs were cold, upper body was cold, feet were freezing. Any ideas on how to keep the cold parts warm? I am hoping when I leave on the 13th of march it will be much warmer than 37.

I got a windscreen but it is not on yet.
If your hands were good you're more than half way there. Thw windscreen will do most of the rest. Add a layer over your upper body. If you have engine guards and don't have lowers try some soft lowers, if no guards add another (thin) layer beneath leathers and pants along with some good wool socks and heavy leather boots (like Red Wings).

I start out in the upper 30s often, leather, layers, and lowers are the key. My biggest problem is always my hands.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not rocket science. Dress warm, the colder it is the warmer you dress. Think snowmobile suit, that would be optimum.

Some days when I leave in the morning it's as cold as -10C (15F). Believe me, you feel that when you get up to highway speed. Obviously you can't have any exposed skin. So you need a FF helmet and neck covered as others have said.

Good ski gloves. Thermal under clothes, outer clothes must be able to cut the wind. Don't wear jeans for example, the wind blows right through the cotton. You'll freeze your azz off.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Heated gear and an Under Armour Cold Gear Hood will make a big difference.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Love my fleece lined jeans in the winter and on the bike. Bass Pro has good pricing. You can also buy heat warmers for your shoes. They last about 6 to 8 hours and really help. I have a Gerbers jacket liner and gloves. Do not use the gloves but really like the liner. I use a $20 pair of gloves from Olympia that is waterproof and windproof. They keep my hands warm but they will make your hands sweat.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM
tourman
Cruiser

Take plenty of breaks to revive your body. Heated gear is a must in those conditions

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
How about hauling your bike? Why be uncomfortable to prove something? Riding locally is one thing; a couple thousand miles in freezing temps & possible rain,sleet, or snow does NOT make for a good time when you get there & know you hafta ride back.

IMHO if it ain't fun, I ain't gonna do it. And riding in the cold ain't fun!

What Dickey said!

Quick Reply: Cold weather riding